Prologue

Madelyn's POV

I gasped, trying to catch my breath as I ran into the hospital. The smell of all the disinfective spray along with all sorts of medication shot through my nostrils. How welcoming.

I'm almost late for work and I still need to change into my scrubs, I just knew that staying out late last night wasn't a good idea, especially if I had a shift the next morning. Kids won't want to see their doctors looking like zombies first thing in the morning.

My co-workers who I never really interacted with gave me weird glances, but I couldn't really care less so I just returned those with smiles. Judge all you want, this is a hospital, not a runway. Pun intended.

Finally stopping in my steps as I reached the staff's room, placing my key card over the sensory blob thingy, I don't care what it's called, at this point all I want to do is get in. Hearing the beep, I immediately pushed the door open.

"Maddie, you're this close to being late." Julia shook her head at me. I gave her a cheeky grin before walking over to my cubby, which is next to hers and placed my bag down.

"Well, since you're still here, you were almost late too." I chuckled and started taking out the things I need.

"Fine," She let out a laugh, fixing her hair a little. "You got me there."

Julia is a good friend I had since I started med school, we would often study together for all the horrid assignments the professors gave us. And now, we're last year residents in the same hospital, currently working in the ER, though we decided to pick different specialties for later on.

While I decided I wanted to become a pediatrician and hang out with kids most of the time, Julia wanted to go into psychiatry. She decided that instead of working hands on with the patients she would rather talk to them more. Well, she's doing really good so far.

"I'm going to head out now," She patted my shoulder, as a way of saying 'see you later'. "Lunch later?"

I nodded in response, fixing my own clothes and taking the things I need from the little locker above my cubby. "Of course, we always have lunch together." And that was her cue to actually head out.

I tied my hair up in a ponytail before heading out, walking to the nursing station where most of the staff are right now, either chatting or checking on different cases. I guess the hospital isn't that busy today, not that I want it to be, no one should come to the ER on a normal basis. But still, it feels a bit too peaceful.

Maybe it's due to the fact that it's only 7 AM right now. Yeah, definitely that.

"Hi Maddie, how's your morning." Jamie smiled at me before looking back down at her computer. Jamie is one of the nurses here and we've became friends overtime, co workers as well, though I'm questioning why she even considered becoming a nurse when she has the face of an actress.

"I'm doing relatively well," I joked. "almost coming in late. How bout you?"

She grinned, typing reports down. Already? At 7? "I'm doing great, my husband drove me here this morning, and he promised to pick me up after work as well." Did I mention that she's married already.

I raised a brow. "Doesn't he always drive you because he kind of also works here?" I asked back, holding a laugh.

"Yeah, and I like that." I just shook my head at her, smiling. Taking a seat next to her, picking up a document, or rather reports of cases. Maybe I could help with one of the patients if something happens, this is the ER after all, things always happen.