Chapter 1 - Not So Loved

Here I am on top of a building imagining my cape blowing in the wind and knee up. It's an original hero stance, but I'm not a hero only a nuisance to my city. At least in others and even in my own eyes at low points in my mind, like now. What is happening in reality while I imagine and think of these things? Well I'll tell you what, I'm sitting on top of some dark abandoned building with my legs dangling off of the edge. My throat was raw and sore from screaming in pure frustration while the sirens from the ambulances and police cars went off in the background nonstop. After seeing people being taken out of there fallen homes on stretchers I decided to flee the scene. I was starting to feel sick of myself or maybe it was the strong smell of blood on my so called superhero uniform. Either way unless the flying rats we call seagulls want to watch what little contents I had in my stomach come back up I should leave.

I stood up not bothering to dust the dirt off my butt grunting a bit. I bolted across the roof and leaped off flying up quickly before I could hit the ground. The wind whipped across my face causing a few strands of sweaty hair to cling to my forehead. People below me looked at the destruction and devastation that I caused with tears dripping down a few faces. Their tears leaving clean streaks were dirt and blood laid in layers on the various skin tones. I couldn't tell if their faces were ones of agony or annoyance but I'll assume that it's a fairly equal mixture of both.

The sky started to turn a dark shade of gray and snow slowly descended towards the destruction. A few flakes landed softly on me melting at the touch almost immediately. The gust of wind that came with it tore through my suit making me shudder. I tucked my arms to my sides and sped off a loud boom echoing as I broke the sound barrier. I kept my head down as a few strands of bright orange hair widly whipped behind me hitting the nape of my neck while my orange cape followed suite with its loud flapping.

From the ground I looked like an orange blur or maybe a shooting star. If anyone recognized me for not being the "hero" I am supposed to be then then what is my purpose? It couldn't be to cause collateral damage worth millions of dollars. I spread my arms slowing my speed down gradually as I approached the place I called home.

I landed on the roof and walked towards the edge. I hung myself over the roof hanging on with my fingers before tossing myself through the open window. It at first was a complicated process but after doing this for a year or so it was fairly simple. Though I still found myself sleeping outside on certain nights were I was to lazy to go through with it. With a less than graceful landing I was inside not bothering to close the window just yet.

A woman younger than me approached quickly her dark blue braids swinging side to side against her back. It made the constant swooshing sound as it hit the black jacket's material. I would've greeted her if I remembered her name, but at the moment I didn't want to embarrass myself with giving an effort.

"I have news for you and I doubt it's going to be like that finding a twenty dollar bill in the street." She said trying to ease me into it in a humorous way.

"Give it to me then. I'm prepared for what's to come." I stated a bead of sweat dripping off my chin.

"We got some new members today, they claimed to have run away from a facility you know vaguely of they also said to run." She said looking up at me before stomping a foot on the ground charging at me before pushing me out the window her body on top of mine helping me to fall faster.

Let's just say I wasn't expecting my day to go this far down, the porcelain throne known as, the toilet.