Chapter 5 - Privledged Have Problems Too

Too many times I've woken up and realized I'm not really free. I'm still connected to my past whether I want to be or not. I even live in a house with other people like me funded by my family, which didn't really help the situation in my eyes. Whatever power my family had I just knew couldn't help us out.

I stared at the blank walls of my room contemplating how long it would be until absolute chaos broke out. It has only been three or four days tops since Nex filled my head with uncertainty and the world was notified of it's economic depression. It's been oddly silent since then leaving me with nothing much to do than ponder and consume food. Though the people in the house have expressed their rage more than once at the situation we were in and how I was taking it.

"How can you be so calm? You goodie goodies of the enhanced are the one's that put all of our heads on a silver
platter." A fairly younger guy to the group stated unable to dilute his furious tone with sweetness so it came out sickly bittersweet.

I looked at him and sighed, "You know you're probably overestimating all of our worth as a whole. The silver platter is probably no more than stainless steel, and that's if you begged on your knees for it,"

All traces of mock sweetness left his voice just leaving it bitter like black coffee. He leaned against my door frame crossing his arms defiantly.

"Don't think you're all high and mighty. It's your parents that control things around here." He stated scratching on his chin covered with army green stubble.

I wasn't sure if my expression conveyed my confusion or my rage more. The longer I was trapped in this house the more the mentioning of my parents shattered whatever optimism I had.

"Parents have nothing to do with this conversation. We should be thinking of something else like how to clear our names." I stated glaring at the window causing my reflection to glare back at me.

"You're the hero here. I'm just an experiment," He stated keeping the defiant demeanor.

"We're all experiments that's why we're in this house," I stated rolling my eyes, "So this the only reason you came to my room, to annoy me?"

He ignored my question and began tugging at his dark green hair that reached past the middle of his back. He seemed to be off in his own thoughts now I just wished it was done out of my sight. I stood up my bed creaking from my movements. The sound snapped him out of his thoughts causing him to walk off and start an argument with the others.

I wandered out of my room heading to the nearest desktop. I wasn't sure what compelled me to do this, but I had to see what was happening. I wasn't particularly there to do something on it, I was honestly just eavesdropping. Though I was only in my room for a few hours it felt like I went missing for a few weeks the way they continued on with their conversation.

"How do we just sit here and wait for something to happen to us?" Nex questioned his tone sturdy and unwavering.

"No one said anything about that. All of you so called super heroes just have to not go out there and try to save lives." The guy with long green hair spoke again.

"That's basically our whole unexplained purpose. Not to mention you and your other companions basically just sit around and eat all the food," Nex grumbled then gave the not so popular frustrated stare.

I saw the green haired guy and a few others shudder at the look. I found it slightly humorous that the bald vertically challenged man could disturb the most persistent. I could see the green haired guy start to braid his hair which I found an unusual nervous habit. I could only pull out that he was nervous by his "friends" who had more obvious signs like fidgeting with their clothes or tapping on anything they could touch.

"Well Nex-" The green hair guy started before being interrupted by the loud ringing of the black house phone on one of our seemingly many plastic tables.

Everyone involved in the debate looked over at the phone. The caller id was simply caller 1. I hesitantly walked over and answered the phone. I wasn't sure how to feel when a familiar voice made it's way to my ear.

"Shayne, it seems like millennia would have passed before we talked again." The man on the other end spoke.

I croaked and closed my eyes shuddering at the memories. I tried to regain some sort of composure, but ended up hyperventilating clutching the plastic table tightly leaving indents from my fingers.

"This is why we can't keep nice things!" Some guy yelled out in the background.

I would have shot him a glare that could melt polar ice caps if I wasn't panicking like this. I was certain it wouldn't have the same effect on him. I broke off a piece of the table clutching it tightly in my fist a spark of bravery running through me.

"Sadly we didn't get that far," I choked out.

"Quite the contrary my beautiful subject. Sadness is the least of words I would use to describe this encounter. I must say this much and decipher it how you may it's not my issue." The man's voice was slightly higher than I was expecting once again sending a wave of panic through me.

"Every century has it's downfalls and success, but progress is always bound to happen whether good or bad. You too apply to this theory, so I must say this. This economic despair will effect you in more ways than you expect." He said it slowly to make sure I absorbed everything he said.

I put the phone back on the charger deck ending the call. Some kind of gas began to fill the house immediately after putting the phone back. People in the house began to run frantically while others tried to assess the situation. I pulled my shirt up my mouth and nose hiding under my cotton, crew neck shirt. My eyes began to sting and tear up as I tried to guide people out of the house. Before I knew it I noticed a flame lit from someone earlier. I ran like I would be paid a million dollars if I made it before everyone else. I thought my running would catch more people's attention, but I was wrong. By the time I was outside I watched it happen in a blink of an eye. Fire spread quickly throughout the house catching anything flammable. I knew of some people inside that had to be dead, but I tried not to think about it. People never want to follow the man who's kin sinned.