Always Bring a "Nine" to a Fist Fight

Chapter Three: Always Bring a "Nine" to a Fist Fight

(Author's POV)

After getting down on the tracks to follow Tails, Shadow saw that the kit had disappeared without a trace, he knew that there's a hideout that the little fox uses so he heads off into the tunnel, after a while, he sees a door there, meaning that he had found where the young fox is at.
As he got up to the door, he noticed that it had an encrypted lock so he needed to find the password for it but due to being an agent and occasional spy, he was able to see fingerprints on the keyboard and he was able to know what the password was.

"19..92..Huh, that was easy..I bet the fox uses his birth year as a password in everything.." he said as he entered the workshop, which looks more like a fallout shelter than a workshop.

It had some items, machinery on the floor, a couch and a fridge, and at the desk, there was Tails, or this world's Tails, doing what he does best, tinkering on a new device.

Shadow went up to him but in order to not startle him, he walked very slowly towards him from behind and tapped on his shoulder.

"Hello? Are you the one known as Tails?" Shadow simply asked and suddenly the fox variant looked at him, seemingly shocked yet getting angry.

"..WHAT...DID...YOU..JUST..CALL ME??" He asked as robotic spider-like tails appeared from behind him that looked very deadly.

"I'm sorry, I must've mistaken you for someone else? What's your name?" Shadow asked, making sure that he wasn't angering the moody fox.

"What's it to ya? Are you a spy? An enemy or a guy who wants to tear off my tails?" The kit angrily asked Shadow.

"I can assure you..I'm not the enemy, I'm just here to ask your help on something.." Shadow tried to reason with him,

"Help...Help...No One has even answered my call for help when I was tormented...the only person who has helped me get through this shitty life is GONE..." the kit tried not to tear up while putting up an angry face. "Who was the one to help you?" Asked Shadow, trying to figure out what was wrong with the young fox.

He was silent at first then he decided to speak after a few minutes,

"His name..is Spark...he was my companion and protector...he saved me from bullies who tried to hurt me...he adopted me when we made our home here..but one day..we got ambushed by badniks who are trying to capture civilians to be part of the council's newest project...we ran as fast as we can..then Spark..decided to sacrifice himself to save me from getting taken...they took him...and all I saw..was his face..tears falling from his eyes..as he smiled and winked at me...that was the last time I ever saw him..so I hid away, now knowing that my Spark of hope was gone and i was scared to save him...so I decided to upgrade myself to make sure that I will never be scared again.." explained the fox, looking very sad.

Shadow knew that he was talking about this world's Sonic, and he knew that he was held captive somewhere.

"So, tell me, what do you call yourself, fox?" Asked Shadow and the fox simply said, "Nine..I call myself Nine...after the mythical Nine-Tailed Kitsune..". Shadow nodded "that name totally suits you" he said.