Chapter 16: Neglect

"Good evening, Aria, my name is Cleo and you may have heard me from your good friend, Ethan. I am a lawyer from Ireland, but I prefer to travel around the world with work." She curtseyed with a gentle smile, radiating comforting energy.

I got up and shook hands with her, "Good evening. Thank you for freeing your schedule for me. It's such an amazing thing that you came all the way here from Ireland."

"It's no problem." She sat down, "I don't reject free food either!"

I laughed as I sat down in front of her, "This is a classic luxury restaurant in Paris, I hope you enjoy today's trip here."

"Haha!"

"Anyways... I did receive all your files and papers online. I'll get them sorted out with my assistant so that I'll understand the case more clearly." She flipped through the papers on her phone, "Your brother died young. I'm sorry."

"Yeah, he really did. I'm also very shocked to learn things I've never thought I would even think about hearing..."

The lawyer placed her phone down and drank some water, "Elias Aldine. He was 18 when he died, which was ten years ago. He suffered from anxiety at a very young age due to a traumatic divorce. When did this divorce happen?"

"Well..."

[FLASHBACK, 20 YEARS AGO]

"Honey... What is going on? Why is all my stuff trashed around this place?"

Mom stopped her actions and glared down at Dad, "What do you think I'm doing?"

He shuffled his feet through the papers and tried to pick all of them up, "These are really important to me, you know?"

"I don't care. It's all useless."

"Yuu. The kids are about to come in... I don't want them to see you like-"

She went up to him and slapped the papers out of his hands, "How about we share the reality to them between the both of us!? I know we both aren't happy in this relationship! I'm sick and tired of it!"

He watched the papers fly down and sighed out of exhaustion, "You need to calm down. This is no time to be acting like this! We can talk later-"

Mom slapped him and huffed out of anger, "Our marriage is failing! I'm tired of you neglecting these problems I have with you!"

"... I simply don't have time to talk about these things with you, especially when we have kids to take care of."

"You're blaming our problems on the kids!"

Dad shook his head, "I'm telling you to get your act out of this room and clean yourself up. You're being very childish!"

"Oh, now I'm the one being childish? You can't just expect me to calm down after all the times you said that. Tell the kids to hold off entering the house for a moment so we can talk."

"I had a long, long day of work. Please don't start!"

"You say that every time I want to talk to you!" She flung objects towards him, "All you do at work is play music, how can you possibly be tired?!"

Dad exhaled out of breath, his face written with annoyance. "Yuu, I'm going to tell you one more time to get this shitty behaviour of yours out of this room. I cannot deal with you right now."