Chapter 1

The day had started like most had in that past week. The chaperone from the school had woken everyone up bright and early to get the day rolling in order to make sure we all met the requirements we needed for the trip. This was meant to be a research trip for a final project that everyone would have to submit by the end of the semester.

     This trip had originally been planned to be in Tokyo, much to everyone's delight, but with some divine intervention you had rerouted everything to cause the trip to bring you to your desigered location of Soho, England. All it took was some flight miss calculations and mid-flight turbulence to cause the class to have to land in the UK. Sure there was some messy paperwork and international negotiations but you didn't have a hand in that.

     As the day was brought to an end the class was being taken back to the hotel. You walked beside your classmate and adoptive sister Macy when you suddenly felt a pull in your chest. Quickly, you began to look around at what might have caused that feeling in you when your eyes landed on it. As the class walked down the street, you had spotted a book shop across the street that sat at the corner of a building, which caused another pull at your heart. They shop wasn't anything to go writing home to mom to, but it was what sat inside the shop that called to you.

     Turning to Macy you tapped her in the shoulder as she went on about the humidity in the city. She looked at you with an eyebrow raised but before she could even ask why you had tapped her you nodded towards the shop. "Cover me." Then before she could stop you, you were already running across the street to avoid her or anyone else stopping you. Lucky for you no one in your class had noticed the runaway student beside Macy.

     As you opened the door and walked in, you noticed there were hardly any people in the shop. Only two women stood at the window talking about their book collections and what they had been wishing to add in the future. You were slightly disappointed since you had been hoping to find something else. Part of you wanted to just go ahead and leave in hopes of catching up with the class but luckily you listened to the other part of you that urged you to step deeper into the shop.

     As you stepped further in, you felt what had drawn you to that shop. There was an overwhelming sense of good and even amongst the old and worn books. It was the exact thing you had been searching for since arriving in Soho. You didn't want to act suspicious by going out and directly searching for the individuals that released that aura, so your response was to wander around the shop until you naturally found the people you were looking for. Or they found you...

     Meanwhile, in the back room of the same book shop, an angel and a demon were having a very important conversation. Crowley had decided to come to Aziraphale's shop that day in order to discuss their next move. Heaven and Hell were at bay for the time being, but that couldn't last much longer.

     Crowley was walking back and forth behind a couch that Aziraphale had placed in his living room. While the angel sat in a chair across from the couch that was only separated by one another with a coffee table which was piled with books.

     "So, Crowley, what exactly are you implying?" Aziraphale asked after taking a sip of the hot cocoa that he had prepared in his white angel mug that he adored so much.

     "All I'm saying is that Heaven and Hell are going to come after both of us soon if we don't get out of town now. It's been four years! They're bound to find out about what we did sooner or later. They can be clever in their punishments when they need to be, and trust me, when they get their hands on use the torture is not going to be pleasant." Crowley explained as he paced, his footsteps dragging along the floor.

     He stopped suddenly and looked at Aziraphale with a look of suspicion. Apparently the angel had felt it too, because they both looked at each other with equal expressions. Only difference was that Aziraphale's had a tinge of fear in his look. There was someone there in the shop that had a peculiar feeling to them. Not necessarily good, but not necessarily bad either. Humans had such presences but they typically leaned one way or another. This one was split directly down the middle which was unnatural in any being.

Crowley beat Aziraphale to the current that had covered the door to the back room and peeked out. He was soon joined by the angel as they both began to scour the building with their eyes as they looked. Two ladies were talking about their books at the front window but neither possessed the strange energy they were looking for. However, Crowley's attention had been on the girl looking at the books on a nearby shelf. She was a fairly normal looking American all things considered. But as they looked closer, they both could conclude that she was the one with the strange aura

     "I'm going to investigate." Crowley said as he walked out of the room and hid behind a bookshelf. One thing that Crowley was not good at, surprisingly, was sneaking around small spaces.

     You could since someone was there watching you behind the bookshelf. You hadn't laid eyes on them so it was hard to tell if it was one of the people you had been looking for or just some creep you would have to take care of. Pulling a book from the shelf, you nearly dropped it when you saw a face looking back at you from the other side of the shelf. You quickly caught the book and heaved a sigh of relief before going back to the spot the book was meant to be. When your eyes met the face again your heart jumped. It was in fact one of the people you had been looking for. Why did it have to be the bad one? You asked yourself.

     Not knowing how to react, you shoved the book back in its place before quickly making your way to the same isle he was in. You didn't know what you had expected, but it wasn't what you saw. He was a tall and lanky man with very red hair, almost like it had been dyed that color. He was wearing what you could only describe as a messy suit and sunglasses, even though the two of you were inside. As you walked closer to him he pretended as if he hadn't just scared the bejesus out of you. When you were close enough you said in a low voice,

     "You know, for a demon, I thought you would be stealthier." With that statement he quickly turned his attention to you. Eyebrows raised above his glasses and his mouth opened in shock. It was only momentarily though since he quickly caught himself and fixed his expression. 

     "What did you just say?" He asked, the slight fear eminent in his voice. You could tell he wasn't expecting to actually be exposed when he had started stalking you.

     "You know exactly what I said. But listen before you start getting all defensive. I came here for a reason and it was to find you two." You explained quickly before lifting your jacket sleeve to reveal a tattoo . This tattoo wasn't exactly something you had gotten willingly, but more like something you were given. By the almighty upstairs. God.

Word count: 1326