Chapter 14 - The race begins!

The following week, I trained hard both at UA and at home with Katsuki, and at the beach with Izuku, pushing myself to the limit to surpass my boundaries. As a result, the week flew by incredibly fast, and finally, the Sports Festival arrived.

"Ah... I wanted to use my costume," Mina complains while we're in the waiting room.

"To keep everything fair, we can't," Ojiro informs her.

"I wonder what the first round will be like," Sato comments.

"No matter what we face, we have no choice but to deal with it," Tokoyami opines.

"That's right," Shoji agrees.

"Whatever it is, we'll definitely overcome it," I add enthusiastically.

Kirishima, Sero, and Denki appear. Denki flops down next to me.

"Everyone, are you ready? We'll be entering soon!" Iida announces as he enters the classroom. Denki sighs beside me.

"Seriously? I just sat down..."

Suddenly, the whole class focuses on Izuku and Todoroki as the latter declares "war" on him.

"Hey, hey, hey! Why are you starting a fight so suddenly?" Kirishima tries to calm the situation by placing his hand on Todoroki's shoulder. Todoroki brushes him off roughly.

"We're not here to make friends," Todoroki's words pierce me like needles to the chest.

Could it have been a veiled message to me too? Was that his way of telling me to stop trying to get close to him? Could I have been too clingy? People used to tell me that I'm clingy, could it be happening with Todoroki too? It's probably the case, I mean, it never seemed like he enjoyed interacting with people, and I always thought it was because he's somewhat introverted, but maybe he genuinely prefers to be alone, and I haven't taken his feelings into account until he almost directly told me, even though he was addressing Izuku, he said it in a way that the rest of us could hear too, maybe...

"Haiyoru-kun!" I startle at someone calling my name. I find Iida looking at me with concern. "Haiyoru-kun, are you okay? We're about to go out."

"Ah, yes. I'm sorry," I smile at him and get up to join the others.

"Heeey!" Present Mic announces from the stadium screens above the cheers of the crowd as we're already prepared to go. "Pay attention, audience! Get ready, media for the masses! The UA Sports Festival is about to begin! Are you all readyyy?! It's time for the first-year students to enter!" It's our cue to go. My stomach flips like a circus inside me, and my heart is in my throat. The nerves increase as I see the sea of people screaming and applauding. I decide to take off my cat ears for now, they won't serve me at that moment, and all they would do is give me a headache amidst the screams, Present Mic's commentary, and the fireworks.

"The UA Sports Festival! The great battle between young heroes that unfolds every year!"

They introduce the classes, and I look toward where class 1-B is, where I see Monoma winking at me and next to him a boy with light green hair. Our eyes meet, and I quickly avert mine. We all gather in the center.

"Representing the students of class 1-A, Bakugo Katsuki!" Midnight, this year's presenter, announces. We're all surprised to hear his name. I exchange a stunned look with Kirishima.

My brother will introduce our class?!

Great, now we'll definitely be disliked by the entire UA, just perfect.

Katsuki takes the stage.

"I swear I'll be number one," he simply says. I can't believe it. The rest of the first years start booing class 1-A, thinking that we all believe we're superior just like him, and all I can do is pinch the bridge of my nose in disappointment. Katsuki is too egocentric. The other classes are introduced.

"Now, let's get started," Midnight continues. "UA does everything 'right away,' don't they? Every year, many drink their tears here!" What an encouraging way to put it. "Now, for the fateful first game! This year it is... this!"

The screen shows an obstacle race.

"All 11 classes will participate in this event. The course will be the circumference of this stadium, about four kilometers! Our school's selling point is freedom! As long as you stay on the course, it doesn't matter what you do! Now, everyone, take your positions!"

We approach the starting gate. Midnight gives the order for the race to begin, and everyone starts jostling to try and move forward. I'm aware that I can transform into an eagle and pass the test without facing anything by simply flying over, but that wouldn't demonstrate what I'm capable of, so I can't make it that easy. This test also serves to attract the attention of hero agencies, and I'm not going to waste that opportunity. Besides, it's the first test, I don't think it's necessary to come in first since they'll determine the winners through elimination. As long as I don't end up in the last few places, it's fine. I decide to transform into a cat and jump over people's heads. I hear Present Mic saying something that I can't make out clearly over the noise of the people trying to pass through the tunnel.

It seems Todoroki makes his first move by freezing people's feet, but luckily, I was on top of people's heads in my cat form, and he doesn't manage to immobilize me.

"...Finally, the robots are on the track! Can these golden eggs aiming to be future heroes overcome the Inferno Robots?!" I hear Present Mic comment. I quickly advance and see Todoroki make a single move, completely freezing one of the large robots and making the air chill. Everyone is surprised, and I take the opportunity to act quickly and try to move forward.

I detransform and run, dodging the robots with agility to avoid wasting energy fighting them.

"Come on, guys, don't just stand there!" I hear Present Mic comment. A robot tries to attack me, and I dodge it, but before I have time to realize it, another one hits me in the side, causing me to fall to the ground.

"Target-spotted," the robot tries to charge at me. I transform into a wolf and launch myself at it. I defeat it quickly, but by then, some have already passed me.

I don't pay much attention to what Present Mic says, I just have to hurry if I don't want to end up in one of the last places. As I run in my wolf form, I see three robots cross my path, and I quickly surpass them. Later, one of the larger robots appears, but I dodge around it.

"Incredible! It seems that Haiyoru from Class 1-A is rapidly advancing, defeating the robots with great ease in her wolf form!" I hear Present Mic say. I'm surprised to hear my name.

I keep running and pass a good number of people until I reach the next test, which consists of mountains with platforms connected by ropes, with an abyss between them where if you fall, you're disqualified. Tsuyu fearlessly jumps onto one of the ropes. I consider transforming into an eagle, but I've already transformed twice, and I only have four transformations left, and I don't know what else awaits us, so I decide to save them. With the agility of a cat, I swiftly pass the ropes. Ahead of me, I see a pink-haired girl flying by with equipment. I'm momentarily surprised, but I can't stop or I'll be overtaken.

When I reach some closer terrain, I simply jump over them with agility, and finally, I manage to reach the other side. Despite being exhausted, I can't stop for even a second if I want to win.

I start running without transforming because I know I have limited transformations for the rest of the competition, and I can't waste them. I'm out of breath as I run, and a cold sweat runs through my body. I feel pain in my side from the robot's hit, and every time I breathe, my throat stings, but I have to keep moving.

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Heyy!! Long time no see haha. I apologize for the inactivity, I've been really busy in real life :"")). In fact, I'm traveling right now, but I wanted to publish this so you don't think I'm dead LOL. I'll be posting slower, probably one chapter every Friday, so I can balance it with my Instagram posts with my drawings hehe. I hope you're having a great summer, and REMEMBER TO STAY HYDRATED >:((. Drink lots of water and enjoy <33. See you next week :D!!