CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

CYRUS

RENETTA AND I WALKED toward the concubine's wing where Elizabeth's room was. There was a pit deep in my stomach.

The fact that Elizabeth almost died.....and the fact that it very well could've been Ainsley in that position. When we reach the room the scent of blood and death emits from the room. When we walk in, a huge blood stains the carpet in the middle of the floor and there are things knocked over all over the place. The plants that were once lively were withering away.

They would probably be okay once Elizabeth came back and she could tend to them with her magic.

This planet was filled with all different kinds of species. Especially given the fact that thousands of years ago people from other planets moved to this one because theirs was either dying, being destroyed, or they had too cruel of a ruler. This is most likely the most diverse planet in the solar system. Though, the people here don't know that. They're kept in the dark about practically everything that's going on.

The less they know, the more powerful Tien is. The planet that had once been a safe haven but now it's anything but. The Arcana people who had once ruled treated people with kindness and love....but Tien and her family? Evil in its truest form.

Renetta quickly undressed and shifted into a beautiful, big, black wolf. Her eyes still looked as if they had the moon in them and she was probably one of the biggest wolves I'd ever seen. Granted, she technically wasn't one.

I walk further into the room and crouch next to the bloodstain. It's truly a miracle she survived given how much blood was there. I think that the doctor was being generous with the hour statement to make Tien and the others feel better.

No, from how much blood there was? She would've been dead within another five to ten minutes. I move more around the room while Renetta sniffs things. after about two to three minutes she shifts back and groans. She stands up and puts her clothes back on before saying,

"I can't pick up on anything. I can smell Ainsley, Tien, you, Elizabeth, and I and that's it."

"Are there any species that are scentless?"

"Not to my knowledge. We'd have to ask the palace sorcerer. Then again, even if there were I doubt they'd be here. There's a log of every single supernatural creature on this planet along with everyone's names and what they are." she runs a hand through her hair "we finally find our mate and then this is how it goes. This isn't how I imagined things would be."

"trust me, Renetta, neither did I." I sigh before whispering again" neither did I."

"We both should go get some rest. We can report back to Tien and the others in the morning."

When we turn to leave a glint catches my eye. I walk over to it, Renetta following behind me having also seen it. We see that it's a small knife. It still has blood on the blade and the symbol of the guild carved into the handle.

"I think this was used to cut Elizabeth's tongue out," I say while going to pick it up.

"Wait don't you think that we should wait until it's checked over before touching it" but by that point, it was already in my hand. I grimace.

"Yeah, that would've been a good idea. I wasn't even thinking. I'm sorry." Renetta simply smiles at me.

"No need to apologize, Cyrus. If there are fingerprints or any magic signatures on it we'll be able to differentiate between yours and anyone else's. We'll just have to make sure to let anyone know that you touched it, also."

"I guess this can give evidence in the theory that the plan hadn't been to kill Elizabeth. It obviously wasn't used to kill her or even try to kill her. if someone just wanted to kill her they wouldn't take the time out of their day to do this beforehand, at least with a separate weapon. It would leave more opportunity to be caught."