Chapter Seventeen

Every fibre of Velika's being wanted to tell the driver that they would be going straight back to the palace without any pitstops. Velika wants to tell Maria that she hates how close she is with Danielle but a Princess does not admit they are jealous of another woman.

No, she could not do any of that. So the princess clenches her jaw, grinds her teeth, and stays silent. 

As soon as the car stops Maria bolts out the car calling "Thanks for the lift!"

Maria bounces down the path and jogs over the paving tiles that are framed by different colours on each tile and seems to float on the lush green grass. A bunch of stones with painted on runes line the fence that is painted in shades of yellow, pink, blue, and green. Each with their own meaning to the witches, but Maria does not know what meaning they hold, witches do not divulge their secrets. Not spells or culture. 

They welcome Maria on occasion because of her friendship with Dani and her influence with the Demontes, but she will never be a witch. Or perhaps she will.

Velika observes Maria from the car. Her little human certainly does not look deterred by the thought of entering a house full of witches, but they, should that surprise her? Maria is as comfortable in palace filled with vampires as she is in her own home. 

Maria's cheery little strut comes to end when she reaches the door and it is instantly thrown open for the small blonde. Dani stands at the front door with a tacky apron on that reads 'kiss the chef' and the woman waves Velika's mate inside.

Velika scowls. Just friends. That what Emily says they are, still, Velika cannot help the pang of jealously that settles in the pit of her stomach. It is the total opposite of how Velika feels when she is with Maria.Instead of butterflies flying in her stomach it is like a snake twisting inside of her and devouring those butterflies and her happy feeling along with it.

"Are we to wait for Miss Lloyd, your royal highness?" The driver asks after a moment.

"No." Velika shortly replies. Leaning her elbow against the window's edge and resting her chin on her fisted hand. "No doubt Emily and Willow will be waiting at home for me." 

Velika is right, of course. As soon as her foot steps across the thresh hold the Princess is bombarded with questions and Velika answers them in short replies, not divulging any information about what occurred between Maria and herself. Whilst Velika deals with her sister Maria is having her ear talked off.

Her and Dani have been working the butcherer case together and forensics' finally confirmed that the bite marks on the victim's are the exact came as the remains in Noxfordshire's case. They are connect and Maria's theory is gaining credit. The marks were too perfectly matched and forensics have built up evidence to support the theory that a cast of a vampires teeth were made and used to cause bite imprints.

"Oh goodie. You're talking shop already." Brina remarks whilst dropping disregarded toys in a box. "If these kids don't start tidying their toys up their being sold at the market."

"The toys or the kids?" Dani quips.

Brina pretends to think about it. Tapping her finger on her chin as her forest green eyes stare up at the ceiling, "Both?" Brina replies, her pouted lips fading.

Dani chuckles, "We'd have to pay people to take the kids." 

Maria watches the playful exchange from the side lines and envies her friend. Everything in life just seemed to fall into place for Dani. Progressing career, marriage, and children. Everything Dani wants she went out and got. 

Maria has to fight for everything she gets and still people have the audacity to believe the Demontes give her everything she wants on a silver plate.

"So, what can my little coven do for the seekers on this fine evening?" Brina asks and makes a sweeping motion to the family photo's that cover every bit of wall above their twins reaching height. Maria recognises most of them, each one specialising in a different area of magic, and Maria gets the point.