chapter 1

"girls hurry up!" my mom yelled from downstairs. today was the day we were moving into her new husbands house. and it made me want to jump off a bridge. i finished throwing a few things in my bag and went downstairs. my mom informed me and noah that we didn't need to bring all our clothes since our closets had been fully "stocked" for us. noah was already standing at the bottom of the stairs and i could already tell this was going to be a long car ride. 

"mom, why can't i please just stay here! you are making me move away from all my friends and even Nathan!" nathan was my boyfriend of three years, and i didn't see it lasting long after the move, but i was hoping we could stick it out till i turned 18. "you know you can't stay here!" she yelled. it was a little unnecessary but i guess since i've asked 2000000 times she has a right to be kinda irritated. "mom we know absolutely no one in spain!" i argued back. "yes, you know will, and his son nick." she responded. "oh of course! the perfect son! one, we have met will ONCE, and we have never met nicholas." i yelled. "yeah mom. from our point of view, this is kind of shitty." noah said, finally speaking up. "noah! watch your mouth!" mom scolded. 

————

pulling up to the house, i couldn't believe my mind. the place was huge. how could two people use up all this space? i got out of the car and walked over to where my mom was standing, talking to will. "hey hon. tell noah to stop playing tug-o-war with the butler, and i will show you up to your rooms." will said. "noah! come on!" i shouted, getting her attention. she walked over and we followed behind will up to the second floor. there were three doors. "okay noah, you're room is all the way on the right, and spencer, you will be in the middle. nicholas's room is the last one." he explained. i saw noah go into her room, so i walked into mine. i couldn't lie, it was gorgeous, everything i have ever wanted. my mom came in behind me. "do you like it? i designed most of it myself." she told me, sitting down on my bed. "yeah mom, thanks." i told her. 

"okay listen, we are going to dinner tonight as a family so you need to look presentable. now, i have to go convince noah she cant wear a big t-shirt and shorts." mom said, leaving. i unpacked what little luggage i had and decided i was hungry, so i walked downstairs and looked in the fridge. "not a damn thing that looks edible in here." i mumbled to myself. i shut the door and was startled when i saw someone leaning against the wall beside it. he was tall, with brown hair, and brown eyes. i snapped out of my trance when i realized it must be nicholas. "actually, all of that happens to be something called food." he said. "you must be nicholas." i said. "yes ma'am. and you are?" "spencer." "isn't that like a guys name." nick asked. "don't be an asshole." i responded, turning around to see a dog. "holy shit." i whispered. i felt someone breathing on my neck, "you know what thor's favorite word is? it starts with an a, then two t's, ack." nick explained. "shut up and get him to not do that." i responded. nick just laughed in response. "i'm serious." i said moving behind him. i picked up the frying pan lying on the counter, "you don't do something i will." i threatened. "okay, you might want to chill out. thor senses a threat he freaks. you don't want that do you? it would be a shame for that pretty face to get ripped off." nick said, looking back at me. 

"thor sit." he finally commanded. he turned around trapping me between him and the counter, and he grabbed my arm lowering it and the pan back to the counter. "see you later lil sis." he said walking off. it took me a minute to catch my breath but i realized i needed to go get ready for this family dinner.

———— 

i walked down the stairs wearing a short black dress, with a pair of chunky sandals. i has curled my hair and it looked really good. i saw nick gawking at me and i just sent him a smirk. "you look great spencer." will said. "thanks." i saw noah walking down the stairs. she was dressed in a big t-shirt with a belt around the waist, and black combat boots. classic noah. "you look great spence." noah said, "as do you noah." i replied. "alright, let's get going." mom said walking out the door, we all followed and i could feel nicks eyes on me, "take a picture." 

it was unfair that nick got to drive himself, while me and noah had to ride with mom and will, and watch them be all lovey dovey with eachother. it was stupid gross. i heard an engine rev up and i looked out the window to see that nick had caught up with us. he blew cigarette smoke out the window before throwing the butt out. typical. perfect son with a smoking problem. we pulled up to the restaurant and it was clear the leisters were well known. nick was already there when we walked in, so the table was ready for us. "okay, since we are still situating things, and they don't know you yet, feel free to use my last name." will told me, as we approached the host. "hello, i'm ms. leister" i said, sticking my hand out to him. "congrats mr leister. i heard the rumors." the host responded. "uh, no," will said, grabbing my mothers arm, "this is mrs leister. my wife. and this is her daughter spencer, and her daughter noah." he said motioning to us. 

we walked to the table and sat down. my mom and will on one side, then nick, me, and noah on the other. i let them order for me since i had never been there before.

"so spencer, i was talking to noah earlier about all the sports you can play at the club. i hear you're into tennis. nick is one hell of a surfer." will explained. how cliché. it almost made me bust out in a laugh, but noah cracked first. "something funny?" nick asked her. "yeah. i prefer sports that make you use your head. something that requires intelligence." noah said. i continued to watch them argue before nick stood up "i think it's time to leave. i need to go to miles house to work on some things." "okay. be safe." will said. "wait. can i leave too?" i asked. "yeah i guess." mom responded. "nick why don't you take her and drop her off. it's on the way isn't it?" will said.  "actually it's quite the detour." nick said, at the same time i said, "i'd much rather take an uber." "nonsense. you need to learn to get along anyways. nick its settled. you're taking her." i fought the urge to roll my eyes, but i obliged anyways. we walked out to the car and i got in. 

it was an understatement to say he was a terrible driver. he was swerving around. "holy shit. could you please not kill me?" i said sarcastically gripping the seat. "chill out. you're in my city, my car, and my life. so it's not your place to judge." he said. "why the hell do you think it's your place to tell me anything!" i exclaimed, and then he pulled over. "get out." nick said, looking at me. "uh no." i said with a little laugh. "fine." he got out and came over to my side of the car. he reached over to unbuckle me, then pulled me out of the car. "nick! nicholas! i'm gonna get murdered!" i screamed, while he drove away. "shit, shit, shit!" i yelled, noticing my phone was dead. some car drove by so i stuck my thumb out and they just drove right by. "i bet you're a murderer anyways! bet i dodged a bullet!" and suddenly, the car reversed. he rolled down the window and said, "you need a ride?" "uh, are you an axe murderer?" i asked. "no" he responded. good enough for me, so i hopped in. 

"where to?" he asked. "you know where the leisters live?" "you live around there?" mario asked, looking at me. "uh no. i live there." i responded. "you live with nick?" "worse, he's my stepbrother. the one who left me stranded actually." i said, shaking me head. "oh i get it. he wanted to get there early." mario said. "where?" "the party? you wanna come with me?" "hell yeah."