f i v e - 𝙨𝙘𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙘𝙚

𝙨𝙤, 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚'𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣' 𝙡𝙚𝙛𝙩 𝙤𝙝, 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚'𝙨 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙖 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙗𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙣' 𝙞𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙘𝙝𝙚𝙨𝙩

- Science by Niall Horan

【☆】★【☆】

February 21st, 2022

At 2:00 in the afternoon, Charlie was laying flat on his back on the floor of Danny and his kitchen, staring at the ceiling, lost deep in thought. In exactly a week from now, he thought, "I'm going to be on a stage performing for a crowd of thousands right before Conan Gray."The thought made him feel slightly ill.

Charlie had done absolutely everything to plan for his 4 months away on tour. He had quit his job at the bakery, since he was sure he wouldn't be needing it after this. Along with this, he was fully packed with his closet now completely empty except for a pair of ugly brown loafers his mother had gotten him as an attempt to get him to come home. 

Charlie's thoughts were broken by his roommate very loudly and even more judgmentally going "Charlie, why are you laying on the floor of our kitchen? You're blocking my way to the fridge and some of us actually wanna eat lunch."

Reluctantly, Charlie pulled himself off the floor and stretched, letting out a loud and over dramatic yawn.

"Sorry Danny, you know I do some of my best thinking on the floor of our kitchen!" he replied with a half smile, running his hand through his hair. He knew his constant running his hand through his hair most likely came off as obnoxious, but it was a habit he just couldn't seem to break.

"No you don't." answered Danny, rolling his eyes at his roommate. "You do your best thinking at that coffee shop...Coffee Cove? You only do this weird lay on the kitchen floor thing when you're nervously thinking."

"Okay okay, you got me there. But to be fair, you know I have a lot to be nervous about right now." Charlie's phone dinged as he said this. Quickly checking it, he saw it was a new follower notification from Instagram. Ever since it had been officially announced that he was going to be opening for Conan, (or "with support from Charlie Hawthorn" as it so formally said on the poster) his follower count had been jumping by the day. It had gone up from 50k to 200k since the announcement, and his monthly Spotify streams had also been increasing. It all honestly freaked him out a bit much, since what if all these people actually saw him on stage and decided he actually sucked?

"I know you do, Charlie. Going on tour with your celebrity crush, becoming all famous, making your dreams come true." said Danny, a hint of jealousy behind his joking words. Honestly despite his pride in his friend, Danny was truly wishing for his big acting break to come soon and part of him was beyond jealous that his friend had "made it" in the industry before him.

"He's NOT my celebrity crush. First of all, I don't like guys. Second of all, I still hold a grudge against him for almost breaking my skull!" Part of this was actually quite true. Once the shock of meeting Conan and learning he would be touring with him had worn off, annoyance at Conan's complete rudeness had set in. Seriously, just ditching him after nearly killing him? Not cool. Not cool at all. It was quite disillusioning for Charlie and whatever pedestal he had been placing Conan on since his teenage years had crumbled to dust.

"Okay man, whatever you say." replied Danny, shoving past him toward the fridge.

Charlie rolled his eyes at his friend before retreating to his room. Looking around it, despite his decorations still being up, he felt he had left this small LA bedroom already. The closet was empty, his bags were at the end of his bed, his guitar was in its case. He was ready to leave.