Chapter 3

Chapter Three
New Year's Eve Is Depressing

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

HANNAH

I'm trying to have fun—really, I am. Quinn's visiting from Philadelphia, and I promised a fun night in the city. And yet, I'm sitting in front of the bar at a club, less than an hour before New Year's, staring at my unread messages. This was the first time Melina texted me since everything went down.

You are so dramatic, Hannah. You guys were barely dating. The first few months aren't exclusive in a relationship, you're supposed to test the waters with other people. Once again, you're making this all about you. I'm PREGNANT. With YOUR NIECE OR NEPHEW. And you're acting like a drama queen. Dad's so pissed off with you, and mom wants to cut you off. I hope you're happy with yourself.

Since I found out about her pregnancy, I thought I was justifiable in getting angry. But the more I read her paragraph, the more tears stung my eyes. Was I wrong? Did I overthink how serious our relationship was? I'm not the child that causes problems—I'm the one that solves them without being told. The one that works twice as hard. But for the first time in my almost twenty-one years of existence, I'm causing a problem. And I hated this feeling.

Neither of my parents have messaged me, but they posted a "family picture" with them, Darwin and Melina, announcing their marriage. They dressed the same clothes they wore on Christmas, which meant they took the picture after I left.

Of course, they would announce the marriage, not the pregnancy. Wouldn't want people to shame the Elliot family. Dad ran a successful pediatric clinic and was a God-loving man. The church is a powerful group of people. They could easily destroy his career if they found the truth about Melina's engagement.

The phone rang with another text from Melina. Do you know how rare it is, me being pregnant? You better apologize to mom and dad, they probably won't forgive you for all the stress you're giving them and the baby.

She's right—her being pregnant is rare. After being cured of acute lymphocytic leukemia at ten, they warned that infertility might be possible because of all the chemotherapy.

I'm being selfish. I should be happy for her, as I'm always supposed to be. Like when she got dozens of gifts for her birthday growing up, while I was lucky to even get a cake. When they went on family vacations without me. Parks. School and zoo trips. Only making her favourite meals, even if I didn't like them. Taking her out for ice cream after dinner while I cleaned the kitchen.

"We don't know if or when Melina's going to get sick again, Hannah. You'll have us forever, we don't know if Melina can say the same." They said that to me before my eighteen birthday, when they announced they were going to miss my birthday to be in Paris with Melina for two weeks.

But them leaving ended up being good for me. During that time, I found the courage to start looking for apartments. When my first semester began two months later, and I reunited with Nico, we agreed to rent a place together.

"Woman, why aren't you dancing?" The familiar voice demanded, and I cringed before lifting my eyes off my phone.

Nico stood in front of me with a scowling Quinn next to him. "It's New Year's Eve, Han. Dance!"

I did my best to smile, feeling bad that I ruined their fun. "Let me just finish my drink," I said, weakly lifting the espresso martini in my other hand.

"You got that drink when we came in."

"It's too strong. I wanted to take it slow." That's a lie. Nothing is too strong for me; not alcohol, and definitely not caffeine. I loved caffeine more than I loved water or food.