Chapter 2

Prince Aemond woke to a tugging at his shoulder from behind him. His remaining eye flew open and he couldn't see anyone, but he could feel someone behind him. He saw his dagger beside the cot and yanked it immediately, turning behind him with a grunt. When his body twisted, every part of his body felt like it was on fire, but especially his shoulder and eye.

He saw a frightened girl behind him with blood on her plain light blue tunic. No sigil, probably common, he thought. He glared back at her as she held up hands with a thread in one hand and scissors in the other.

"I'm not trying to hurt you, I swear! I'm just fixing it!" The girl hyperventilated as tears formed in her eyes. Her eyes remained on the dagger held in front of her, never once looking up at the boy holding it.

He narrowed his eye at the girl. "You shot me."

"It was an accident, I swear! I was aiming for the stag, I didn't know anyone was around!" Her voice was so shaky and uneasy, but he didn't say anything more as he eyed her curiously.

"Who are you?" He asked, but she just kept crying at the blade before her. He raised his voice even more, waving it in her face. "Who are you?!"

"D-Daisy!" She was scared of the boy. It would've been foolish of her to say who she actually was. One thing her father taught her, never tell a stranger who you are unless you are prepared to fight to remain who you are.

He narrowed his eye at her, looking almost disgusted by her simple name. He finally lowered the blade, and that's when he noticed the wrap from the side of his face had been changed. It was a fresh cloth, with some type of goo underneath. He could feel it seeping into his fresh wound. His hand touched the wrapping and he glared at him. "What did you do to me, Daisy?"

But she didn't answer. Just a scared hesitance from her, which only made him angrier.

"If I have to ask you one more time..." He threatened, lifting the dagger back up.

"I fixed your other scar, I thought...I thought you might be in pain from whoever stitched you in the first place!" A lady or not, she was nothing more than a child. A sobbing child.

Maybe if she'd stayed with her father that day like she should've, she wouldn't be here. Maybe if she hadn't felt so much guilt for what she'd done, she wouldn't have saved him. Maybe if she hadn't shot him at all, neither would be there.

"I lost my eye, I'm going to be in pain regardless." He tilted his head in confusion.

"Yes, but whoever stitched did a lazy job of it and it would've hurt ten times more if I hadn't fixed it." There was some confidence in her voice finally. She knew she wouldn't be a match for him in a fight, at least not at her skill level so far.

Judging by the intricate handle of his blade and the tunic he wore when she found him, she figured he must've been a knight's squire. He must've gotten lost or something, she thought.

"And how would a girl know any better than a maester?" His grip on the blade tightened, but he slightly lowered it.

"Is your eye in as much pain as it was before I found you?" It was almost hilarious to watch how quickly she changed up. From the timid little girl at the end of a boy's dagger to now annoyed and even offended he'd question her skills. 

He was silent. There was some pain, of course. It was a fresh wound. And it had been killing him since the moment it happened, up until now. Now the pain was somewhat tolerable. It was mostly uncomfortable than anything else.

"Exactly, so I believe the next words of your mouth should be a thank you, Ser...?" Jeyne pursed her lips trying to figure out who he was, but she didn't know any knights who weren't her own. She definitely didn't know hardly any squires, but she knew they were almost always young. About both their ages, in fact.