Chapter 3

"I'm so sorry for your loss, Poppystar." Bluepaw's voice was thick with grief as he lowered his head to console the mourning leader. The calico she-cat was shaking as Goosewhisker and Tumbleholly carefully and quietly carried Briarslip's brown tabby corpse away for burial. "He was a great warrior and deputy."

Poppystar's paws trembled as she watched the two warriors carry the fallen tom away, looking as though her life was falling apart in front of her. Her blue eyes were watery as tears spilled down her cheeks. She said nothing, but she didn't have to. Bluepaw knew the pain she was in was greater than anything any herb or consolation could do to help.

He won't get to meet his kits. Bluepaw glanced down at Poppystar's bulging belly and lowered his ears. They both were so excited when she announced her pregnancy almost two moons ago, but now he wouldn't get to meet them until they joined StarClan. Looking at the sky, he searched the clouds for a hint of something- anything to show that Briarslip made it to the stars safely. May StarClan treat you well, Briarslip.

The position of deputy was open now that Briarslip was dead. Bluepaw scanned the surrounding warriors, who were grieving together. The deputy was a well-respected and charming tom and everyone liked him. He and Poppystar were inseparable at all times even before she became leader. Now that he was gone, it felt so wrong to think of Poppystar without the father of her unborn kits.

Fur brushed against Bluepaw's flank and he jumped, before relaxing. Sweetfur looked at him apologetically for a moment before turning her attention to Poppystar. She's always so quiet. He nudged Poppystar's shoulder, snapping her out of her trace-like state and her eyes focused on the gentle medicine cat.

"I need to make sure you and your kits are doing okay," the dark tabby she-cat requested softly, her green eyes feather-soft. "Will you please come into my den with me? It'll only take a moment, I promise." Sweetfur's gaze was shadowed with grief, but she held herself strong despite the slight quiver in her voice.

Bluepaw politely dipped his head and backed away, not wanting to interfere with the conversation between the medicine cat and emotionally vulnerable leader. He looked around and spotted a familiar pale-ginger speckled pelt and felt his throat tighten. Sandypaw looked so upset at the loss of Briarslip, and his made his chest hurt seeing his best friend look so pained. He and Poppystar almost have the same raw look on their faces. Bluepaw approached his friend, pulling back his ears and softening his steps.

Sandypaw noticed his approach and Bluepaw saw tears in his friend's eyes. "I can't believe he's gone," he whispered, his voice shaking as he sat down. Bluepaw settled beside him and ran his tail up and down Sandypaw's back to comfort him. "I don't understand why RiverClan would kill him when his mate is about to have his kits..."

"There's no rhyme or reason to it." Bluepaw agreed, his voice light as he placed a big paw on Sandypaw's shoulder. The gesture made Sandypaw stumble slightly, making him crack the smallest smile that Bluepaw nearly missed. The two toms were the same age, but Bluepaw's massive size made him look like a fully grown warrior compared to his more normal-sized friend. "StarClan will welcome him warmly and he'll watch all of us from the comfort of the stars."

His friend seemed grateful for the little comfort and shook out his pelt. With his eyes slightly more clear but still somber, Sandypaw looked at Bluepaw. "Do you want to go hunting?" He asked, seeming desperate to get away from the frankly depressed Clan. "We could have a contest on who can catch the most prey again."

Bluepaw smirked and nudged Sandypaw with his nose. "The last time we had a contest, you were stuck looking after Starlingkit for a moon and hated it!" He teased as he stood up, fully confident that he'd prevail once more over his smaller friend.