Chapter 4

With a grunt, Cobrapaw hit the ground. A cloud of dust kicked up around the two apprentices as the spar was abruptly ended. His green eyes blazed with anger as Pricklepaw pinned him down, one paw on his chest and the other planted on his neck. Satisfaction rippled through Pricklepaw like a stone tossed into a calm lake. She stepped off the tom and watched him with great pleasure as he got to his paws and shot her a nasty look.

"Well done, Pricklepaw." Daisystorm's praise came moments later after Cobrapaw had stood up. "You took him down easily and you kept yourself light on your paws." She nodded to Cobrapaw's temporary mentor: Quailstep, who sat nearby with Rustrapid, Ospreypaw, Hopepaw, Grousepaw, and Conan. "You've trained him well so far, Quailstep."

The dark gray tabby-point she-cat dipped her head bashfully and accepted the compliment. "Thank you, Daisystorm." She looked to Cobrapaw. "You did well, but you're too hefty on your paws and you kept your weakest points open. I know you've been here only a few sunrises, but know that your training and techniques will get better over time."

Pricklepaw glanced at her adversary and took note of his tensed muscles and wide-set paws. He grunted and didn't meet her gaze. Pest, she thought as she smirked to herself. All brawn, no brains. Bested by an apprentice in combat.

"Come sit down and rest, Cobrapaw." Daisystorm flicked her tail and nodded to Pricklepaw. "You stay there and catch your breath for a moment." She turned her head to the other apprentices. "Conan, it's your turn to have a go. Remember to keep your claws sheathed and bites gentle. We're training, not fighting for territory."

As the gray tom nodded and padded toward her, Pricklepaw analyzed his stance and build. Tall and agile, which is surprising for a kittypet. Unlike his siblings, Conan was all gray with a dark tail, paws, chest, belly, ear tips, nose bridge, and chin. His cheeks were angular and lighter compared to the rest of his pelt, and he had bright orange eyes. Pricklepaw thought it strange that Conan hadn't taken a proper apprentice name compared to his siblings. Ospreypaw, Hopepaw, Chicorypaw, Grousepaw, and even Cobrapaw had taken apprentice titles, but Conan hadn't. Five of the six apprentices became warrior-apprentices. Chicorypaw had decided to aid Dewcloud in the medicine den and seemed to be thriving.

Conan eyed her with a neutral look on his face. Pricklepaw readied her burning muscles and took a deep breath. She'd never sparred against Conan before and he'd just witnessed her beat his brother rather easily. Maybe he'll be more of a challenge.

"Go!" Daisystorm's order was barked out and Conan made the first move. He lunged for Pricklepaw and snapped his teeth at her foreleg. Pricklepaw let out a hiss and drew back, her heart beginning to race as it always did in a battle or spar. She jumped back and hit Conan's cheek with the back of her paw. He didn't react as he surged forward again, swiping and snapping his jaws at her and driving her back. Pricklepaw's pelt bristled as she backed away more and more.

Pricklepaw hissed with frustration as Conan landed a blow to her head and she reared on her hind legs, her head buzzing. She launched herself to Conan's side and rammed her head into his shoulder, knocking him off-balance and she shoved him to the ground. Taking advantage of his sudden vulnerability, Pricklepaw stood over him and rained blows down on his head and face, keeping her claws sheathed despite them itching to unsheathe.

Pain exploded in her belly and Pricklepaw was suddenly several pawsteps away from Conan. He scrambled to his paws and rounded on her, eyes ablaze as he charged her. Fear spiked Pricklepaw's fur as she rolled over and avoided the gray tom, breathing hard. She pushed herself to her paws and sank her claws into the ground as Conan spun around and went for her again. Launching herself forward, Pricklepaw brought a paw down on Conan's head and the furious hitting contest commenced once more. She blocked a blow to her cheek and retaliated with one of her own, resulting in Conan stumbling back, stunned.