6.Secrets

HUNTER'S POV

"Bell, I really think you should listen to Mr. Hunter and go home." Isabella's friend Chiara repeated the line she's been using for a good half hour to get her drunk friend to walk with me to the car.

Ever since I found her upset and crying in the garden, she has not stopped pouring large quantities of sparkling wine into herself.

Whatever happened in that garden before I could find her must have shaken her badly. The other guests left earlier and luckily for Isabella, they missed her drunken release.

"You can't force me. I feel really nice!" Isabella protested for the hundredth time tonight. She tried to get up from the chair on her own and almost fell, but I managed to catch her in time.

When I smelled the alcohol literally evaporating from her, I realized how much she would hate herself the next morning.

"Wow!" she gripped the biceps on my arms with her hands and commented putting on the funniest and cutest expression I've ever seen at the same time. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay Miss La Rosa, it really is time for you to go." I said to which she shook her head trying to get away from me.

She opened her eyes and looked at me. With the obvious inability to look straight at me, there were tears in her eyes. I will have to talk to her again about what happened in the garden.

"I don't want to go. It doesn't hurt after a long time." Just as she finished her sentence, she staggered slightly and fell into my arms.

Chiara just looked at me sadly as if she knew what Isabella was talking about when she mentioned "pain". Maybe I was wrong about what I thought about Isabella. Apparently, I don't even know what this seemingly strong and arrogant woman went through. But that doesn't negate the fact that it makes me angry by its very appearance. Only her tone and contradiction arouses anger in me.

No one has ever made me so angry before.

Realizing that she had fallen asleep leaning on my body, I gently lifted her into my arms. She wrapped her tiny arms around my neck and hugged me tighter.

"I have everything under control Miss Ricci. Thank you once again for your hospitality. Enjoy the rest of the evening." I thanked her on behalf of myself and Isabella and headed for the exit from the castle grounds. A voice stopped me.

"Mr. Hunter..." Miss Ricci called to me and I turned around.

"Please, keep an eye on her. She seems strong and independent, but she's been through a lot of terrible things. As much as she doesn't want to admit it to herself, she needs help." She looked at me imploringly. I nodded my head and headed for the car.

When I got to the car, I opened the back door and gently sat down Isabella, who woke up. When I asked her if she needed water, she shook her head and I heard sobs.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked, crouching down so I could see her face. Tears were streaming down her pale face. With my fingers, I gently brushed away the hair that was sticking to her face, and she looked at me with dark green eyes.

"Why aren't you a Heartless Bastard anymore?" she asked me.

I looked at her in shock. A Heartless Bastard? Did she really call me that?

"Why did you call me that?" I asked her curiously. She sighed glumly and rolled her eyes.

"We're on professional again. Just when I thought we'd start to get along better, Mr. Hunter." She stated sullenly, leaning her elbows on her knees.