008. So it goes...

War is strange. Lila's been preparing herself for it for months. Every day, the first thing she thinks when she wakes up is Oh, thank the gods the war hasn't begun yet. Despite this, the moment they realise that the invasion is about to start - or, well has already begun, horror fills her. She's not the only one; Silena pales and turns a sickly green, Katie begins to grip her weapons for dear life, and Annabeth get's this hard look in her eyes, like steel or iron is holding her together. 

Outside, back in the city, they meet Argus. He doesn't say a word, but from his face, Lila can tell he's panicking. It's funny - you'd think he'd be the most prepared for this, seeing as he's been alive literally since the Ancient Greek times, but this battle is more serious that most. 

When Percy tells him that the gods won't be fighting with them, he rolls his eyes, meaning every eye on his body turns. Silena goes a darker shade of green. 

"You'd better get back to camp," Percy says. "Guard it as best you can."

He points at Percy and raises his eyebrow. 

"I'm staying," Percy confirms. 

Argus nods, before turning to Annabeth and drawing a circle in the air with his finger. 

"Yes," Annabeth agrees. "I think it's time." 

"For what?" Percy asks. 

Argus steps into the back of his van and comes back out with a large bronze shield which he passes to Annabeth. It looks the same as the bronze shields they all use, but when it's set on the ground, the reflection on the metal changes like a mirage, shimmering through different places around New York.

"Whoa," Percy says. "A video shield."

"Daedalus?" Lila asks, knowing Annabeth's been going through all the inventor's ideas. 

"Yeah," Annabeth agrees. "I had Beckendorf make this before—" She glances at Silena. "Um, anyway, the shield bends sunlight or moonlight from anywhere in the world to create a reflection. You can literally see any target under the sun or moon, as long as natural light is touching it. Look."

They all crowd around the shield as Annabeth concentrates on it - the image shifts through many things, the Zoo, different roads in New York, even the Statue of Liberty. 

"Whoa," Connor interrupts. "Back up. Zoom in right there."

"What?" Annabeth says, looking anxious. "You see invaders?"

"No, right there—Dylan's Candy Bar." Connor grins at Travis. "Dude, it's open. And everyone is asleep. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"No one is thinking that," Lila tells him. 

 "This is serious." Katie scolds, reminding Lila of Demeter. "You are not going to loot a candy store in the middle of a war!"

"Sorry," he mutters, not sounding sorry.

"This will let us see what's going on across the city," Annabeth says. "Thank you, Argus. Hopefully we'll see you back at camp . . . someday."

Lila winces, wishing Annabeth hadn't added that last word. 

Argus grunts, before climbing into his van and driving off, the roads clear because of all the sleeping people.

There's a moment of silence, where they all look at each other. Percy seems lost in thought, so Lila taps him on the arm. "We should get Grover. The nature spirits can help us." 

He nods thankfully. "Get Mrs. O'Leary to find him. She listens to you better than me. Even though I take better care of her." 

She snickers but doesn't disagree, before treading over to the hellhound, who's currently looting an ice cream stand, the seller passed out in front of it. As soon as she sees Lila, she comes bounding over, running in a circle around her.