003. The Ballad of a Songbird

003───────ஐ〰ฺ・:*:・✿the ballad of a songbird

LILA HAS NEVER BEEN AN EGOIST.

There are a thousand words she could use to describe herself (a good many of them unflattering) but she would never use the word egotistic. Even the thought, even trying to see herself as self-centered is like watching herself through a murky, film-covered camera. The sort of camera one might have used in the twenties, when cameras had just been invented (Lila isn't sure if this is correct, she knows nothing about history).

But despite Lila knowing that the world does not revolve around her and never will - she is not the sun, but more of a far-flung moon orbiting alone - she still thinks that she is being followed.

Not by mortals- no, mortals cannot get through the border into camp. But by a tiny, finger-sized songbird that is stoutly struggling through the air in an attempt to follow her.

It began at breakfast; she noticed it drifting around listlessly and offered it a few breadcrumbs ( she knows you aren't supposed to feed birds, but it just looked so hungry .) It had twittered gratefully and flown away, out of sight and out of mind.

But then she had seen the same bird ( or a similar one ) sitting on her bed when she entered the Hermes cabin later. That had scared her; a tiny little songbird sitting on her pillow, watching her shrewdly with it's black, beady little eyes. She almost felt judged - how can she be critiqued by a bird? But it stared at her with it's sagacious brown eyes, and almost seemed to tear her apart to work out precisely who she is.

And now she is certain she can see it fluttering behind her. Every time she turns to check, it perches on a bench or tree or bush and pretends to be eating berries or searching for seeds. But it's always behind her.

She turns to Connor and Travis, the two co-counselors beside her. "Do you think that bird is following me?"

Connor looks at his brother, the corner of his mouth tugging up in amusement, as Travis chuckles ominously. She regrets asking. She just handed them all the ammunition they need to make fun of her for the rest of her stay in their cabin (which, at this rate will be up until the end of her life. However long that will be.)

"Yes, definitely," Travis nods, discreetly attempting to elbow his brother in the stomach; Travis may be older, but he's also slightly shorter - a great source of amusement for Connor, who seems to believe that height is the measure of total masculinity. "I'm sure I saw it following you while we were playing last night."

Even though Lila knows that they're joking (of course they are, when are they not?) a chill still runs down her spine. She casts a nervous glance at the harmless-looking bird. "Really?"

"Yes!" Connor agrees, stopping his striding for a moment to march over to the tiny bird; it stares up at him, nonplussed. Yet it doesn't fly away, as might be usual behavior for a bird like itself. "Definitely. Look, it - ow!" He gives a yell as the bird chirps out a high cry, before jumping into the air and lunging at his face.

He swats it away, stumbling back as it picks up it's wings and disappears into the foliage behind them. Perhaps it isn't following her, after all. Travis laughs, patting his brother on the back in a manner that attempts to be consoling. "I don't think it liked that.