11. a siren's symphony

⋆ 11 ⋆

Following up on his invitation, later that Thursday, Jisung slips into his diving gear and meets up with the mer by the lagoon

Since they can't exchange many words once Jisung's underwater, they take a few minutes to chat with each other.

The lagoon is alive with the gentle sway of the tide, the moon glinting off the surface of the water like a million tiny diamonds. The mer rests its elbows on the sandy edge of the lagoon, staring at Jisung with its piercing blue gaze and contrastingly soft body language.

"You came," the mer beams, reaching up to caress Jisung's cheek. "Glad I didn't scare you off," it speaks sweetly, with that same lull that enthralled Jisung in the first place.

"You couldn't," Jisung reassures, and the mer tenses for a moment. Did I say something wrong? "I–I mean, you were just so kind after I almost killed you."

The mer giggles, lapping a tongue over its lips. "I tricked you into nearly drowning and almost killed you," it counters, referencing their first encounter and their most recent. "My kindness is the bare minimum, you deserve it."

"I deserve it?" Jisung raises a brow.

"You do," the mer insists, its cheeks flushing pink underneath the moonlight. And in a smaller voice, it mumbles bashfully, "for giving us a chance... for giving me a chance."

Jisung's heart nearly leaps out of his chest. It must be hard, so hard for merpeople to exist in Arcana Isle's waters, despite its waters being their natural habitat. Every day the mer comes to the lagoon, it's a major risk—not nearly as much of a risk as Jisung diving in 'diver-restricted' territories.

Jisung may be forbidden from diving in the lagoon, but his mer friend is forbidden from existing as a species alongside humans.

Jisung takes the mer's hands in his own and squeezes them lightly. "I'm glad I did," he says, his voice as soft as the calm lagoon tides against the mer's skin.

The mer leans forward, coming up from the water and pressing its forehead against Jisung's.

"Me too," it murmurs, and Jisung can feel its cool breath against his face. It's a comfortable closeness, even with the icy lagoon water dripping all over Jisung's diving suit and exposed skin.