Germanium

Chapter 32: Germanium

The women had moved through to a sitting room. There was a sofa on which Claire was advised to lie on. She was instructed to lie on her back and place her arms over her chest, not crossed but just resting underneath her breast. Her head was elevated and supported by a cushion as she lay back. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths as directed by the therapist.

Taylor sat on a white cotton cushioned bucket chair at one end of the sofa, angled to face Claire, and Dr. Freeman sat on a large armchair. A video camera was set up facing Claire, who had agreed that the process could be filmed. The therapist had talked through a prepared script that supported Claire into a trance-like state.

"Okay, Claire," Dr. Freeman says surely but calmly, "The next voice you will hear will be Special Agent Anderson; you know Taylor is here to help. She is safe. You are safe," She nodded to the FBI agent to indicate that she was to start speaking.

"Hello, Claire. It's Taylor. Can you tell me where you are?"

"I'm at a bar; it's college football night."

"Yeah? Who's playing?"

"The Spartans."

"Michigan State?"

"Yeah, they've just scored, and the bars are going mental—lots of noise. I'm cheering too. It was an amazing play. Geri is holding on to me; she's loaded."

"Who's Geri?"

"The only other girl in my college class. She's a bit of a bitch, but I kind of like her," Claire laughs, "She's just put one of the guys down in the most amazing way."

"Who was that?"

"Brad. He loves himself and keeps talking about all the pussy he gets. We're all out of the class; we finished our final assessment and just let loose. The place is full of folks doing the same. Most of the guys are trying their luck."

"On the pull?"

"Yeah. I'm not, though. I've got a boyfriend. Didn't stop Geri trying, though."

"Geri was trying it on with you?"

"No. Geri was trying to get me to cop off with this guy that has been hanging about all night."

"Yeah, what's he like?"

"He's gorgeous. He's like a total surfer, dude. Long blonde hair and amazing blue eyes. Chiseled jawline. He's like muscley and tall; he's wearing this daft Hawaiian shirt."

"How longs is his hair."

"It's that kind of floppy beach style, messy from the sea. It's just above his shoulders, like a shaggy dog."

"Does Geri know him?"

"Nah, she just met him tonight. She said he told her he wanted my cell,"
Taylor thought a moment about the next question. Debating if it was suggestive or not, she decided to ask, "What's his name?"

"JJ."

"How do you know that?"

"Geri told me, and he answered to it when called by the guy he was with."

"So he was there with someone?"

"Yeah, this other guy. You know, if they were so different coloring-wise, I'd have said they were twins or like brothers at least."

"How do you mean color-wise?"

"Well, the other guy was dark. Like almost black eyes and short dark hair."

"How long did you stay at the bar?"

"Until about 11ish."

"Then what did you do?"