The Day the Music Died [C]

Phean laughed as they splashed in the water, the sun dappled their back as it seeped through the leaves of the trees above them. Their clothes which had smelled of fresh cotton and lemongrass moments before were now soaked with water, the once neutral beige brought to a darker brown. A bullet of grey rushed out of the bushes and knocked them onto their back, spluttering for their breath in the shallow brook.

"Faolan!" They squealed as the large dog licked their face, wagging his tail excitedly and whining.

Phean and the scruffy dog soaked each other in streamwater, Phean giggled while Faolan barked and whined, bowing playfully as water was splashed at him.

Faolan's tail dropped, his ears twitching as he turned his body to stare into the bushes beside the two. Phean was confused, they knew what his body language meant - but there was no danger, not here anyway, that was impossible.

A doe eyed man burst out from the thicket, lunging towards Phean, large feathered wings propelled him forwards. Faolan lurched towards the man, who had now reached Phean, tackling them to the ground.

Phean let out a yell as they hit the ground, smooth stones pressing into their ribs with every desperate breath. Out of nowhere, Faolan, usually a gentle giant, barreled into the man that was standing above his human, a nightmarish snarl leaving the canine's mouth.

Off-white teeth pressed into the man's armour, the metal groaned and popped as the dog bit down further. The man knocked the beast off of him, a yelp sounding through the trees. His focus returned to Phean, who had scrambled to their feet by this point, standing and staring in horror. They knew running was pointless, they knew they would be caught.

Suddenly, they were cold. Black seeping over their face and into their lungs, they tried to fight it, shrieking into the void. Their hands clawed at the mudbanks, suddenly remembering where they were.

They felt a force crushing them into the pebbles, the smooth stones pressing against their cheek. Icy water made its way into their nose, burning like a fire. It didn't take too long to subside - or I suppose they got used to it - either way it didn't matter. Sounds were muffled, barking and yelling, shades of red pouring into the stream. It was peaceful, it was warm now, it was safe.