twenty

This is what we call in biz 'retroactive plot hole fixing'

enjoy. or don't lol hhehehehehehehe

••• four months ago •••

  Pookie growls when wrong-Miguel enters the kitchen. The fur along his back bristles.

  It's only been a day since the original Miguel O'Hara of this world met his tragic demise and wrong-Miguel arrived to take his place. The other two humans of this household don't suspect him yet, but Pookie does. Pookie knows all.

  Because Pookie isn't actually called Pookie at all - he's Meows Morales of Earth-8311, stationed here by the very Miguel before him to protect this Miguel O'Hara's family.

  Meows can't believe what's happening. He knew that the leader of the Spider-HQ wanted desperately to protect this family, but he never expected his boss to go to these lengths. To take the place of his deceased alternate-self?! That's crazy!

  Meows had agreed to protect this family when his boss first discovered this reality. Now he's regretting ever taking this mission.

  (Though the head scratches the smaller human gives him are to die for)

  "Cut it out, Meows," Miguel pleads after checking to make sure his not-wife isn't in hearing range. "You're going to make them suspect me."

  "I should!" Meows Morales hisses, and if anyone would freak out to see a speaking cat, then wrong-Miguel is the last to panic. "Holy meows! You're screwed up, pal! You've got cat-nip on the brain!"

  Miguel groans and kneels on the floor before the growling kitty.

  "What do you expect me to do?" he argues in a whisper. "Leave them without protection? You can't do it alone!"

  "You can do it alone!" Meows yeowls. "I'm outta here!"

  He darts away and drags a cat-friendly Gizmo out from under the living room couch. He inputs the coordinates to his home reality and sends Miguel one last hiss.

  "Meows-!" Miguel seethes before sighing in defeat when the spider-kitty leaps through the portal. The red light vanishes. "You had a vet appointment tomorrow..."

  The next evening Rosalina notices the absence of one kitty-cat. Pookie was her cat - the kitty she found in the alleyway outside her home and begged her parents to keep.

  "Where's Pookie gone?" She frowns at his untouched bowl. Miguel freezes at the kitchen bench, where he's making dinner.

  "I'm not sure, mija," he says. He continues cutting carrot. His not-wife beside him sends a narrowed-eyed look. "He might just be having a wander." 

  A few nights later, after Y/n finds Miguel drinking the blood of the man in the alleyway, it's clear Pookie's not coming home.

  Rosalina hugs Miguel in the kitchen as she sniffles back tears. He strokes her hair sympathetically. "Where's he gone?"

  Miguel glances at his not-wife, who openly glowers at him suspiciously. He sighs. He's not doing a very good job at this whole 'blending-in' thing. He was never made for infiltration.

  "I'm not sure, papita," he says softly. "He might have run away."

  He can hardly tell this upset little girl that her precious cat was a Spider-Man from an alternate reality assigned to watch this family because her mother is the only Y/n left in the multiverse. That's too much.

  And this Y/n doesn't even believe him when he says he's an alternate version of her husband - the very husband she doesn't even know is dead, yet. Oh, and was Spider-Man, too, because this version of her doesn't even know that, either.

  Rosalina pushes her head into Miguel's stomach, and his heart sinks. Maybe he can convince Meows to return - but no, he wouldn't. Not after the way he reacted to Miguel replacing himself.

  "I miss him!" Rosalina weeps. Y/n crosses her arms from where she's watching from the kitchen entrance, torn between frowning sadly at her daughter and sending daggers to Miguel. He can feel each pinch of them tearing through his skin.

  One O'Hara killing him with her gaze. The other crying into his shirt and clinging to him like he's the strongest pillar in the world.

  "Did you eat Pookie?" Y/n seethes after Rosalina's gone to bed.

  "What?" Miguel says incredulously. "No, I didn't- he's a cat from another reality-"

  Y/n rolls her eyes. "You've gotta stop with this 'alternate reality' bull crap."

  She storms off with a huff. Miguel watches her leave and exhales through his nose. So, now the love of his life thinks he's a face-stealing vampire and that he eats cats.

  Great.

This is canon btw /srs