Epilogue

One year later

One year later

And the Champions of Archery tournament starts... now. Fran directs the mindlink to the pack as we are distributed through the woods, with our blunt arrows and bows clung to us.

The winner will be crowned as the champion of 2023.

A new tradition we have vowed to do every year because the pack have fallen in love with archery as much as I have. That warms my heart more than I can put into words.

Fran releases the loud horn, signalling that the tournament has begun.

I glance around the woods, my eyes scanning through the trees. Silently I draw one of my arrows and aim behind the tree, trying my hardest to blend in. Someone flies between the clearing and I release my arrow, the end hits their leg with red spotted paint. The person glances down and exhales a long sigh.

Three hits and you're out.

I'm already smirking to myself because they'll probably say that it's unfair but I want to join in because it's fun, not because I know that I can beat each and every one of them. Including Everett who has got incredibly good over the last few months, despite how bad he was at the start. He put in the hours and got the skill in return.

I hear running in the distance and then someone else shouting in frustration. My feet take off in the opposite direction, defending my back by turning around as often as I can. Then I plant myself behind a large tree trunk, the whole thing covering my body with ease.

My eyes spot my mate from across the clearing, he's trying to hide but he's far too big to disguise himself. I applaud him for the efforts though.

I duck down and walk through the trees, tailing him closely. He takes an arrow and releases it into the forest, hitting someone in the arm. Just as he turns around to face me, I quickly draw an arrow and hit him square in the chest.

Everett blinks once and then twice, exhaling a devastating laugh.

"Wow," he shakes his head. "Really?"

I shrug and let my lips fall into a smirk. "Don't hate the player. Hate the game."

He narrows his eyes. "You started the game, actually."

"Oh, yeah..." I plant a hand on my hip.

Everett glances behind me and then takes my wrist, dragging me behind a tree. "What?"

"Look," he says deeply, pointing across the clearing at Milo who is struggling with his bow. Unlike Everett, Milo never really managed to pick up on the skill but he still tries. "Let's go gang up on him."

I turn to my mate and gawk. "You're so mean."

He grins back at me devilishly. "But funny."

"True," I nod and draw an arrow. "Let's go."