Chapter 4 - Athena's P.O.V.

I starred at the trophy on my nightstand.

I started P7 but I fought all the way up to P2.

I finished on P2.

The sound of the crowd cheering as I walked up to the podium was still loud in my ear.
Even though I've washed my hair, I felt like I could still smell the champagne from before in it.

My phone has been flooded with congratulatory messages from my friends and family back home. Even dad gave me a big hug after the race, although Mercedes wasn't on the podium with me.

Charles on P3 and Max on P1 were instead.

It was always amazing standing on the podium but with people I've raced all my life with was a complete different kind of celebration.

You watched the people around you race and fight all their life and now you succeed together and the big boys.

I still had a chance to finish this season in the top three.

With only two more races to go I had to finish P4 or higher in both of them. And I really wanted to prove something here.

I wanted to be the first female to ever be Vice-World Champion.

These last two races I would have to perform perfectly, no mistakes allowed.

And I was convinced I would be able to do that.

I've had a perfect season so far. Always finished in the points, only one DNF. That was what got me my contract with Porsche.

If I would be able to become Vice-World Champion, maybe then I would finally get some recognition from the public and prove that I deserve the seat with Porsche.

And once you're P2 in the world championship, P1 wasn't that far away.

I grabbed the trophy and my phone and sat up straight on my hotel bed.

I snapped a few selfies, not caring about the quality.
Luckily my make up was still intact from the press conferences after the race, so I looked somewhat presentable.

I posted three pictures, two with the trophy, one holding up two fingers.

It was something me and Lando did.

Whenever we scored points or performed well, we took some selfies and posted them on our Instagram accounts.

‚P2 babyy. What a race. Thank you for your support, obrigado brasil.' I captioned the post and sent it off to my 15 million followers.

A while ago my manager limited who could comment on my posts. Only my mutuals and some selected fan accounts were able to.

I hated that I couldn't connect with my fans in that way, but the misogynistic and toxic fans often used my comment section to tell me how undeserved my seat was and how untalented I was.
That variated from a simple ‚You suck', which I could handle, to several death wishes and threats.

It was the sad reality I had to live with. But I promised myself and all the female drivers after me not to let some people on the internet stop me from achieving my dream and walking the way for the women after me.

It's what I owed to them and especially to little-me.

After posting I switched from Instagram to WhatsApp.

There were still a few texts that I had to reply to but I would do that tomorrow during the flight.

I searched the group chat that we had with all the drivers.