Chapter 29 - Athena's P.O.V.

The weird thing about racing was, that the second I could feel the motor vibrate beneath me, the world just shut off.
I've never thought about any other thing than racing, once the car came to live.

The layout of the track, the tire degradation, when to brake, when to accelerate, when to overtake. My focus was on me and the car and nothing else. Not once did my mind wander off.

I learned early on, that this sport was deathly. A crash with this speed was fatal. I couldn't afford losing focus.

It was probably the adrenaline enabling my mind to work this way. My senses on a high, all the sensations being processed faster, my reactions happening in the matter of milliseconds.

Yet, no matter how hard I focused, no matter how fast I reacted, I couldn't control the actions of others.

I couldn't control the risk other drivers took and I couldn't stop him when he crashed into me because he felt like he had enough space to drive past me. Spoiler alert: he didn't.

I ripped the steering wheel around, my foot slamming on the break, trying to prevent my car from slamming into a barrier. But no matter what I tried, the impact wasn't avoidable.

I drove through grass, my car shaking, with 83 kilometres per hour, straight into the safety barrier. The impact sending a wave of pain through my body, moving up my spine, my head slamming onto the head rest behind me.

Barely a second later, I was spun to my left, the side of my car crashing into the barricade.

My heart rate went through the roof, the organ threatening to jump out of my chest. Another wave of piercing pain flooded my head. I closed my eyes, my head slamming against a few other things. Thank God for my helmet.

Focusing on the dark, it still seemed like the world was spinning. A ringing in my ears sounded over anything I could've or should've heard.

I stayed sitting, waiting for my head to stop spinning and for my heart to stop racing.

„Athena? Answer me." Hank's panicking voice was low compared to the ringing.
I let out a groan, showing Hank that I was responsive.

„Athena? Are you okay?" he tried again.

„I'll live," I pressed out the words through gritted teeth.

„I'm okay. I'm okay," I repeated the words a few times, partially for myself.

„It's a red flag. Get out of the car if you can, help is on the way." Hank informed me.

I didn't move for a few more seconds, trying to regulate my breathing. Once I felt like I was strong enough to move again, I began removing the steering wheel.

Pain crawled up my legs when I jumped out of the car, my knees bucking beneath me. I didn't fall but I couldn't prevent a light stumble.

I didn't see who hit me, but stepping out of the car, the responsible one was already standing there, waiting for me.

His arms reached out to steady me. The red suit stood out against the green and grey landscape around us.

Charles moved my visor up, his free green eyes searching mine, while holding my helmet with both hands.

„You're okay. I'm okay," his voice was weak and desperate, pain leaking from it.

„I'm okay," I reassured him. My voice was soft, almost childlike.

Our helmets crashed together when he pulled me in for a hug, making my head start spinning again.

He had me in a tight hold, I could feel his fear in his hug. „I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he repeated over and over again.