Chapter 4: Professor Werewolf

***

Much to her dismay, Sandy ended up sharing a dorm with Mary Macdonald, Marlene McKinnon, and Lily Evans. Its not that she didn't like them. In fact, they seemed like a great bunch. In another life, they would be best friends. She was certain. However, she could not befriend neither Mary nor Marlene, without doing the same for Lily- and being near Harry's future mother was not a good idea. Alas, she tried to get through it, keeping in mind that she should take it one day at a time.

The morning after started rather chaotic. It seemed like finally being able to sleep in a mattress, in a bed, after doing so in a sleeping bag for a year, was not all sunshine and rainbows. Since she no longer had to be vigilant about being possibly killed in her sleep, her mind could relax. She assumed so after sleeping one night without too many troubles, other than waking up four times. But, on the second night, conveniently when she had company, nightmares creeped in.

Some of its contents were memories, while others were a product over her fear of causing friends to be unborn. Or even on what the people she knew back home were doing now- fighting in battle. Sure, technically, in the latter account, it had yet to happen. There was no need to worry just yet for 1998. However, her mind did not understand the difference.

Waking up startled, had worried her roommates, specially since she had pulled out her wand from underneath her pillow, pointing it around as if an intruder was going to come for her. Sandy was certain they now knew she was truly not okay. And so, to prevent further episodes as such, she asked Madam Pomfrey for help. She drank some Calming Draught, and got some vials of the Draught of Sleep to take before going to bed, as they would eliminate her nightmares.

She then had breakfast, and got her schedule from McGonagall, whom, as one would expect, looked younger than Sandy remembered. "Here you go, dear. Welcome to Hogwarts. If you ever need anything, I am the Head of the Gryffindor House, and therefore in charge of your wellbeing. Now, given that you're new and the castle is large, I'll assign someone to help guide you through the grounds."

Eyes widened like saucepans at her professor's words. No, this certainly would not be helpful in her efforts to stay off the radar. Not that being the only transfer, as well as Dumbledore's supposed goddaughter made it easy. "That won't be necessary. I already know my way around, professor." Besides, she actually did know her way around, having studied at Hogwarts for four years. Not that McGonnagal knew, since this was far into the future. 

"Its not a request. I will not have you come late to classes due to misdirection, if it can be avoided. I'll get you someone responsible- speaking of which, Mr Lupin, come here!" She gestured to an approaching student. 

Well, crap. Looking back to the figure coming at them, she had no doubt in her mind who this was. Professor Lupin- or Remus, as he had insisted to be called after resigning as her first year's Defence Against the Dark Arts professor once upon a time. Not that he knew. The poor lanky werewolf had absolutely no clue that they had met in the future. "I'm good, really." Sandy tried to insist while he was still out of hearing range. Not for long though.

"Yes, professor McGonnagal? Can I help you with anything?" His somewhat hoarse, yet kind voice rang through the hall, as he expressed a small smile. He momentarily glanced at the unfamiliar face, restraining himself from asking about her. Remus had heard the rumours of a new student in their year, and a Gryffindor at that. However, he had yet to see how she looked like, or anything of the sort. In his mind, the only reason he was aware of her existence was because of Peter- the gossip of their four friend group (or 'Marauders' as they had come up during the summer). The boy had been telling him and the other two about the new girl, all night long. Honestly, until that moment, Remus believed his friend had to be confused. A transfer, during a war? It made no sense.