Chapter 2 - Do it! Duet?

It had been a month since college started, and the first-year students were beginning to explore the library. Fiza stood in a group with some girls and a couple of boys, chatting animatedly. Alan observed her; something about her kept catching his attention and he found it hard to take his eyes off her.

"Okay," said Suresh, one of the backbenchers, who Alan hung out with in class. "You get her number, and we'll buy you lunch." The other boys with him snickered.

Alan shrugged and approached Fiza. "I'm only doing this for the free lunch and to show you that I can get her number."

"Excuse me," Alan said, tapping Fiza's shoulder. She turned around, her face breaking into a smile that made Alan's heart race. "Can I have your number?" he asked. He heard wolf whistles from his friends and disapproving sounds from the others, but he focused on her eyes; dark brown with flecks of gold. For a moment, they pulled him in and everything else went silent. She was still smiling and saying something.

"What?" he asked, confused.

"So, do you want to do it with me?" He heard her say.

Of course he did, but he wanted to make it clear that he wasn't looking for a relationship. "No strings," he replied curtly. A slight crease formed between her brows.

"Well, meet me at the jam room at 6:30, and we'll see whether we need strings or just the piano," she responded. "I have your number. I'm sending you a text."

That had been easier than expected, but Alan couldn't shake off a hint of disappointment. He was getting the girl, but why did he wish she had been different? In his mind, everyone wanted just one thing from him.

Around 6 p.m., he received a text from Fiza: "Don't forget the guitar." Alan wondered if it was an attempt at humor.

He spent some time shooting hoops at the basketball court before heading to the jam room. Although it was only 6:20 pm, Fiza was already inside. "Hey," she greeted him with another bright smile. Alan looked around, feeling confused. The small room was filled with musical instruments, a recliner in one corner, and a few stools to sit on.

"You didn't bring your guitar!" Fiza exclaimed.

Alan started to realize that he might have misunderstood something. "What are we doing here?" he asked gruffly.

"I heard that you sing and play the guitar," she reminded him, raising her eyebrows. Alan nodded.

"The only category open for auditions is duets, so I thought maybe we could try out together," she explained, emphasizing the word "duets." "It's for Spandan at JIPMER," she added, looking at him as if explaining to an idiot. Spandan was an inter-college cultural and sports festival hosted by a medical college in Pondicherry.

Alan shrugged. He wasn't a duet kind of person, and the songs she listed on the paper she passed him didn't exactly align with his musical preferences. However, he loved music, and learning a song for a competition would give him something to do. He looked up at Fiza, her eyes captivating him again. He realized he was actually looking forward to spending time with her.

As the week progressed, they spent less time practicing due to their studies and adjusting to college life. However, Fiza felt prepared the day before the auditions. "Record us," she commanded, playfully. Alan teased her, "What's the magic word?"
"Imperio." She responded laughing.

He took out his phone, positioned it against the snare drum, and hit the record button.

They recorded themselves singing "Imagine me and you" by the Turtles.

"Imagine me and you, I do
I think about you day and night, it's only right
To think about the girl you love and hold her tight
So happy together..."