Chapter Four

~ Then~
July 21st

Jeremiah adjusted the Boston Red Sox baseball cap on his head before pulling out his hotel key card from his wallet to enter their room. A grin was stretched across his face still not believing he was able to find this hat here in San Francisco. This hat reminded him of summer, happy summers in Cousin Beach with everyone. He was obsessed with the baseball team the Red Sox one summer and while Conrad and Steven would tease him, Angelina told him the red hat looked good on him. After that, Jeremiah didn't go a day without wearing the hat that summer.

He swiped his key card entering into his and Angelina's hotel room. The had finally arrived in San Francisco a couple hours ago.

He set the bag filled with some clothes he just purchased beside the bed. Since he had came on the trip without any extra clothes, he need to go buy some. Angelina gave him her debit card that she had. Her dad had prepared all those accounts for her when she turned fifteen, in case of emergencies and to Angelina, this seemed liked an emergency. Jeremiah resisted at first but Angelina insisted feeling bad because she was the reason he was on this spontaneous trip unprepared with her in the first place.

"Angel-" Jeremiah stopped midway on calling her name. The bathroom door was slightly open and heard small whimpers.

He quickly rushed towards the door and lightly knocked on it before entering. He wanted to just enter but decided against it before asking, "Angelina? Can I come in?"

No answer was given and the whimpers increased louder, Jeremiah shook his head and immediately pushed the door open more to rush in. He stopped as he entered into the bathroom seeing Angelina curled up in the bathtub with her hands gripping the side of her head crying. She was still fully dressed and there was no water in the tub.

Jeremiah's face soften and he felt a small ache. He hated seeing her like. The strong fiery girl she was but now completely lost and hurt. He regain composure and quickly went to kneel down beside the tub. "Angelina, baby, hey," he said softly trying to get her to look at him.

He watched as Angelina shook her head fiercely ignoring his voice. Jeremiah sat beside her waiting. She just lost her dad three days ago, of course she still wasn't okay. He witnessed small signs but decided to ignore it hoping when Angelina was ready, she would talk to him about it.

He thought he would hear small whimpers when she was asleep in the car while he was driving. They took turns driving and sleeping so they didn't have to stop and get a hotel room until they made in to San Francisco. Jeremiah knew he should have addressed them but was scared she would close him off or have another meltdown.

A small ruffled, "I need you," came from Angelina's lips and if he wasn't for Jeremiah already staring at her, he would have missed it completely. Jeremiah quickly hopped into the bathtub positioning himself behind her. He pulled her back against his chest tightly as he wrapped his arms around her. "I'm right here, baby. Whatever you need."

"It hurts, Jeremiah. I'm trying. I really am trying my best but it's so hard," Angelina cried out. She missed her dad so much. Every time she closed her eyes, she couldn't get out the images of dad coughing up blood or fainting in their beach house kitchen. Then the worst kept replying her head, the moment her dad died in the hospital bed. All those moments kept replaying.

When Jeremiah was around, it was a little easier to ignore those memories and feelings. But when he wasn't beside her or she would shut her eyes, all those feelings came crashing down on her bringing the pain all over again.

She curled her body harder against Jeremiah's. "I'm so sorry, Jeremiah," she cried out. Angelina was trying her hardest to stop from crying. She knew her dad would want her to be strong and push through this but it felt worthless now to her. Going to Brown, living, it felt like a burden.

Jeremiah nestled his head in between her shoulder and head placing light kisses on her neck as he wrapped his arms tighter around her. With one hand, he grabbed hers and laced their fingers together. "You never have to apologize to me for acting on your feelings, Angelina. I promise you, I'm never going to leave your side. You can cry all you want and I'll be here to comfort you."

He heard Angelina whimpers calm down slightly as he leaned in kissing her temple. "It's normal to feel how you're feeling, it's only been three days but just know, and please listen to me on this, you're not alone."

And with that, Angelina cried more resting her head against his chest. She knew Jeremiah meant that. He would never leave her but they were both so young a lot can change and she was scared. But for the next two weeks, she was going to hold on to Jeremiah as much as she could. When these next two weeks were up, Angelina knew she was going to have to face the reality of dad's death, alone.