𝗜. 𝖨 𝖶𝗂𝗌𝗁 𝖨𝗍 𝖶𝖺𝗌 𝖬𝖾.

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE.             I Wish It Was Me
SHADYSIDE. America
JUNE 14. 1994

not proofread

                                   The Serial Killer Of 1994

     It was the burning thought in Winnie's mind as the thin papers of the mornings newspaper rested between her fingertips, as she remained perched on a leather barstool at the kitchen table with a steaming mug of coffee in front of her.

     Her hands shook lightly as the headline glared at her in a taunting horror; MULTIPLE FOUND DEAD AT SHADYSIDE MALL! It was not the first killer to be on the loose in the town, it would not even be the tenth but the last one had been sixteen years ago. She had been one and her mother and aunt had been marked missing. They were the only ones never accounted for after the massacre.

     She could see it now. Closing her eyes, it had just been another serial killer at large — Ryan Torres, he had been her friend before he had snapped just like his predecessors. The news was calling him Skull Mask due to the mask he had worn. She wondered if perhaps, she hadn't asked for Heather to cover her shift, if he would have killed her.

     Or would he have recognised her as his friend? No, because Heather was his friend and he had still killed her. Heather had been killed covering her shift. Heather died instead of her.

     God, she felt sick.

What perhaps made it worse is that she knew what was to happen. No one would take it seriously. Shadyside would mourn who was lost for about a week before moving on, Sunnyvale would just mock them because it was just so fucking common for their town to have serial killers.

She, too, had once laughed about the curse of Sarah Fier. A supposed witch who had cursed Shadyside whilst being burned on the stake. It was why the town was brimming with killers, she had laughed with her friends, even dressing up as the witch once on Halloween.