[ 004 ] . . . those treacherous waters

Did I die?

That was the question that April Cowen found herself wondering as she walked down the lonely winding road.

Frankly it all kinda made sense. She didn't remember much before she blacked out, just that she was at the Reserve — but for what? Her mind kept drawing up blanks the more and more she thought about it.

However, one thing was for certain — April needed to talk to Stiles. The brunette boy had to know something about what was going on with her. Maybe even give her the answers she was looking for — but was that really what she wanted?

April's train of thought was cut off by the sound of a car horn honking behind her. Turning quickly, April faced the car and held her hand up to shield her eyes from the cars blinding headlights that were momentarily making her see purple and blue spots.

In the haze of color, April could see someone quickly get out of the now parked vehicle and stand in the open car door. Even as she squinted her eyes, she still couldn't make out whoever it was — just that they were slightly shorter than her.

"April?"

Lydia Martin stood in shock as she stared at the very much alive April Cowen — the girl who had been pronounced dead, and buried six feet under a week ago — as she stood caked and covered in mud, and what appeared to be blood.

"WHAT THE HELL?!"

April swore she thought Lydia was going to pass out there, in the middle of the road, when she saw her.

Without a warning, the strawberry blonde engulfed the taller girl in a bone crushing hug — like she hadn't seen her in weeks. When the shock of Lydia hugging her wore off, April hugged her back.

The scent hit her like a bullet train, quick and bone shattering. The burning seethed in her throat again, and the hunger was even more striking then before.

Lydia smelt delicious.

The hunger was almost insatiable, and the more they stood there, the more she could hear the girls heart beat drum in her ears — so clear, April could almost taste it.

That's when Lydia had the greatest urge to scream again. It was so overpowering that she felt as though she could pass out from it. What the hell was going on with her powers lately?

April could feel the dull throb in her gums as the pointy teeth begged to be released and just have a sip.

"Lydia, get in the car and drive away." Said April through clenched teeth. She was struggling to keep her mouth closed and not swoop down and sink the fangs into her friends skin.

She could picture all the blood, and the way that the color in Lydia's face would slowly fade as she drained her — just like Alec's had.

At that point, she had been so caught up in the fantasy, that April hadn't noticed how hard she was gripping onto Lydia. Not until the poor girl was squirming and squeaking out her name.

"April, you're hurting me."

It was like a switch had been flipped in her brain, and she felt like the old April again. Tame and alive. The hot lava in her throat and hunger had subsided, and the pain in her gums had gone numb. Had she imagined it all?

No way she thought. It was all too real — there was no possibility she had just imagined all of it. Right?

She could be in a coma lying in a hospital bed or something.

Maybe I am dreaming.

"What's going on?" The girl asked, trying desperately to look April in the eyes as she held her tears at bay.

"H-How are you . . . here?"

Now that question stumped her. What the hell did Lydia mean by that?

"Well I'm pretty sure you've already gotten the birds and the bees talk Lyd's. But when a mommy and daddy love each other very m-"

"What, no!" Lydia shouted and then sighed as she took April's hand gently, shuttering at the feeling of them — her fingers and hands were as cold as winter ice. "April, you died."

A beat of silence.

"Oh."

"Oh?"

"Well it's a plot twist, that's for sure."

Lydia groaned and dropped April's hands. Was she really cracking jokes while Lydia was holding back tears?

Maybe this really was a dream. Was this another sick joke that was being played on her? Maybe Peter was behind all of this again and was making her see things.

Am I dreaming? Lydia thought as she scanned the woods around her with a crazed look in her eyes.

"No, at least I don't think so."

What the fuck?

Lydia's thought rang loud and clear through April's head, almost like she was in her head.

"Did-did you just..."

"I think so."

The two girls stood stunned for a moment as they looked bewildered at one another. April had just read her mind — like full on Professor X shit.

How is this possible?

"I don't know."

"Stop doing that April!" Lydia cried.

"I'm not doing it on purpose!" She huffed as she watched Lydia pace back and forth in front of the car, mumbling to herself as she did so.

What did all of this mean? April was back from the dead, she didn't know how she had died or how she came back — and worst of all, Lydia had an aching feeling that it had something to do with a certain somebody.

"Okay," Said Lydia as she stopped pacing and calmed her self down. "We need to get you to Scott."

"No, no, no you need to take me to Stiles." Argued April, causing Lydia to shake her head and frantically grab April's arm.

"No way."

"Yes way."

"April, no!" Lydia sighed and took a deep breath in — her emotions were getting the better of her.

In front of her was April, the girl she would do anything for, but the longer she stared at her— the more she came to see that this wasn't that girl.

"You can't see him, not right now." April just stared at Lydia as she spoke, her eyes just watching the strawberry blonde move. "Do you have any idea what your death did to him? We haven't heard from him since you were buried a week ago."

How could April know? She had been dead. It felt like a fire was being lit inside of her and all she wanted to do was rip Lydia's head off.

"Take me to Stiles, Lydia." Her voice was low when she spoke and her eyes a yellowish color, but they didn't glow like before.

"April, I-"

"Now!"

It was like Lydia had gone on autopilot — her body moving on its own, a dead look on her face as she drove April to the Stilinksi residence.

April watched as Lydia drove, her eyes never leaving the road — she didn't even blink.

"Lydia?" Her name came out like a whisper, as if she was scared for the girl to even hear it. Then, she said it a little louder, but there was still no reply.

A sigh fell from April's lips as she turned back in her seat, now facing the road as well.

This was going to be a long night.