Coffee Shop

Background: Ballister and Nimona own a coffee shop, and recently Ballister has been falling for one of their regular customers, Ambrosius.

The Boldheart Cafe was a simple shop. Unlike most of the cafes in the city, Boldheart had a darker and gloomy aesthetic than would be normal for a cafe. Despite the spikey appearance, Ambrosius loved it.

The cafe was run by a man named Ballister and his daughter named Nimona. Ambrosius found the pair charming, Nimona and her chaos, and Ballister with his sweet smile and calm voice.

As Ambrosius was enjoying a simple stroll to his favorite coffee shop, Ballister was stuck tidying up a mess.

"Really Nimona?"

"What?" Asked the teen with a mischievous smile. "You said I could make some rolls."

"Yes, but without making a mess!" Huffed Balliser as he waved his mechanical arm around the small kitchen which was now decorated in a sheet of white flour. "How does this even happen?"

Nimona shrugged, "I don't know, I just turned the mixer on-"

"Turned it on, what?"

"The max setting because I thought it would mix it the fastest! Obviously, I didn't expect it to explode everywhere!"

"I thought I told you-"

"Yeah, yeah. 'Never turn it to the max' but come on! Sometimes ya girl is in a rush!" Nimona spun around, waving her hand about like he was Ballister in the middle of one of his rants.

"In a rush to do what?"

Nimona shrugged, "I don't know. Make some rolls for your Boyf-"

"He's not my boyfriend!" Yelped Ballister with a blush and flapped his arms around to shush Nimona.

Nimona smirked, "Sure thing Boss. Whatever you say~"

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Mhm. That's what they all say."

"Ok, now you're just dodging the topic."

"So are you."

"How am I dodging a topic? This is about you making a mess!"

"Well," retorted Nimona, "At least I'm not scared of asking a guy out!"

"You don't even like guys!"

"Yeah! But at least I would ask a girl out if I liked her and not just stutter as I make him a cup of coffee!"

"I don't know who you're talking about-"

The chime of a bell put an abrupt end to their argument.

The pair peeked out from the back kitchen to see Ambrosius standing there in their cafe, looking around at the few seats that were filled.

Ballister sighed, "Alright, you're going to stay back here and clean up while I am going to help our customer-"

"Go get 'em, tiger!'

And with a shove, Ballister was forced behind the counter.

Ambrosius looked up, "Oh, Hi Ballister!" He was smiling at Ballister and he could have sworn he could hear his heart racing. Ambrosius's smile was like a blinding sun, lighting up the cafe or as Nimona liked to call it, The Lair. He wore his usual sweatshirt and baggy pants with his blonde hair swooped to the side.

"Hey, Ambrosius. It's ahh- nice to see you today." Ballister said with a smile, or at least he hoped he was smiling.

"Yeah, I thought I'd stop by to see my favorite baristas. How's Nimona doing?"

"Oh, yeah. Nimona made a bit of a mess in the kitchen so she's cleaning it up right now-"

"Can I help?"

"Excuse me?"

Ambrosius blinked, "You said Nimona was cleaning up, I wouldn't mind helping her out."

"You don't have to really-"

"Oh hey, Am!" Nimona called, popping out from under the counter and startling Ballister. "We would love your help!"

"You really don't have to-"

Ambrosius resting his hand on Ballister's arm, "Relax Bal, it's ok. I don't mind, In fact, I'm happy to help. Okay?"

Ballister shook his head, "I don't need a customer-"

"Then think of me as a-"

"Am! Come on hurry up!" Nimona shouted as she hurried to the kitchen.

"One second Nimona!" Ambrosius responded before turning to Ballister. "Relax, It'll be fine. Just continue doing what you're doing. You won't even notice I'm here."

Ballister sighed but gave the man a small nod, "Alright."

Ambrosius smiled wide, "Great, we'll be done soon."

"But you're getting a free coffee for this, no buts!"

Ambrosius laughed and he disappeared into the back, "Fine! You win this time Bal!"