Chapter one

Bright lights burn my eyes. The dark vanishing away with the dream I was having, it was the same one I've had throughout the years.

Since I was 9.

It goes against gods envision.

It has been running in my mind for 8 fucking years. On loop, clinging to thoughts that go against it and push them down into the bottomless pit of unwanted thoughts, of thoughts not meant to be shared or said. Thoughts not meant to be acted on.

"Ryder, get up!" I hear my brother say momentarily before my bedroom door is yanked open and he is standing in my messy room. I blink a few times to rid myself of sleep, and turn around in my bed.

"Fuck off." I tell him, I snatch my glasses from my bedside table and put them on. Sitting up I comb my fingers through my messy hair, and get off the bed. I grab clothes from my closet, and head into my bathroom to shower.

Steven tells me that he will leave without me if I take longer than 5 minutes to shower, then leaves my room.

I run the water hot. When I get in, the water blisters my back and sends shivers down my spine, I let the water make it sensitive and sore as I rinse my hair out. I wash up. The water pelting my skin in boils and steam, making it itchy as I rinse the soap off my body.

I turn the water off, get out and dry off with my towel. I get dressed in a plain white band tee with blue sleeves and red rims at the hem and collar of my shirt. I put on my red converse, that my best friend once said gave him "James Potter" vibes, and insisted I bought them. I comb back my hair, brush my teeth, and put my contacts in, so I don't have to wear my glasses all day.

After I'm done, I walk into my room again and pile my school textbooks, and papers into my bag. Then take my soccer cleats out of my closet and stuff them in too, making sure the toes don't get squished too much.

"RYDER!" Steven's voice pierces my ears as he calls upstairs from the kitchen - which is right below my room. I point my middle finger down at the floor, and walks out of my room, my phone in my hand.

"Why did it take you so long? That was longer than 5 minutes," he says as we walk outside of the house and get into our shared car, which he drives since I don't have my license - I've failed the test 3 times. "I don't know. But didn't you say you were going to leave with out me?" I ask, buckling my seatbelt as he pulls away from our driveway.

I give him a smug smile, and stare out of the front window. The sky is a dull early morning gray, the grass coated in dew from the change in humidity. "I was going to," Steven says, he turns a corner and we exit our neighborhood.

We live only two minutes away from the school, so after we pass the up coming cafe, we are already there basically.

"But mom told me I had to wait." He finishes, and just at that moment he passes the cafe, and I see our school a second later.

The parking lot is filled with cars and buses, and parents pulling away from dropping their kids off then driving away to go to work or back home. Steven parks in the student parking area, the right tire going a bit over the yellow line, and he kills the engine.

"One of these days," I say, getting out of the car and walking to the school with Steven. "You are going to get me killed, with your reckless driving." He gives me an appalled look, his eyebrows furrowed and his nose scrunched in the way he does when he doesn't believe anyone.

"Well, you could take the test aga-"

"No!" I interrupt him, and at that moment I catch the eye of my best friend and our friends. "Smith one, and little Smith!" Jimmy shouts, putting an arm around Steven and smiling at us both.