Chapter 6 (Vol 1) - Internal Conflict

"There, there, Hajime-sama. It's okay if you couldn't use magic the first time. Not everyone can get it right immediately." Lara patted Hajime on the head who was sitting in front of his room's table.

She got another spoonful of pork curry and said, "Say 'Ah'!"

"Oh? A-Ah..." Hajime opened his mouth just enough to take a bite.

"I was worried you couldn't eat your breakfast earlier. I was even thinking of running around town to look for you, but then 'that' happened, so it's excusable. We're still glad you came back in one piece though!"

"...Yeah."

The door to his room shot open as Kerai stood there with sweat on her forehead. Despite looking like she's on a rush, her outfit was still as neat as it was last night.

"Lara-senpai! How's Hajime-sama?!"

"He's fine. Currently, he's taking his late breakfast, and I already changed his clothes. You would never imagine how tattered his clothes were."

Kerai widened her eyes as she looked back at the basket near the closet, seeing a shirt and coat full of holes and claw marks.

"...Hajime-sama doesn't have a scratch on him, right?"

"From what I've seen, no. He's perfectly fine...aside from his mood right now. He seems almost lethargic." Lara frowned.

"Hajime-sama..." Kerai went up to Hajime and put her hand on his left shoulder.

Hajime looked up at her, seeing the worry in her eyes. He didn't know if it was because she's his personal maid or if emotions were involved, but she clearly tried to comfort him.

"It's okay, Kerai. I'm just...tired. I just want to eat breakfast then rest afterwards." Hajime said as he grabbed the spoon from Lara and ate the curry himself.

"Hajime-sama, what happened while you were out there?"

"...Ask Lara."

"Lara-senpai, did he say anything about what happened at the gates?"

"When I saw him and accompanied him towards here, he seemed very tired so I let him rest on my lap. There, he said something about how he's a 'fake Chosen One' because 'he was too weak'. Later on, he revealed to not only have inadequate fighting skills but he couldn't even do magic."

"...I see." Kerai said, holding back from even clenching her fists. If she could, she would vent out her anger towards the demons that invaded Wiesenland, but now was not the time.

"Hajime-sama, I know what you must be feeling. It hurts to be weak and feel powerless against the world, but you must know that the ritual used to summon the 'Chosen One' could only summon one and one person only. No matter how much we rewind time, you will be the only one who can be summoned here, and no one else. It is a special title bestowed to only one person."

Hajime was about to take another bite of the pork curry, but stopped after hearing that. The part that got his attention was how the "Chosen One" ritual would only target one specific person in the whole world.

"...Only me? Are you sure about that?"

"Yes. If you were to die now, the ritual could never summon anybody else ever again. No matter how many times it will be tried, it will result in failure."

"I see..."

If that's the case, maybe I'll talk with Yagoo after this. I need some information about the ritual's description.

Hajime finished his curry and walked briskly towards Yagoo's room, while Lara took care of washing his dish downstairs. Meanwhile, Kerai took care of incinerating the torn clothes.