History - 12 years old

The morning sun shined down on the trees, while birds chirped nearby. In a patch of grass, a young fox stealthily watched a rabbit nibble on some grass. The fox slowly approached the rabbit, which suddenly jumped in fear. Unfortunately, the fox was faster and managed to catch the rabbit in its hungry jaws. The rabbit closed its eyes as blood flowed from its neck.

"See she caught it" Miyake smiled, extending his hand "Pay up"

*Sigh* "I had hopes for that rabbit" Shin handed him a handful of berries

Miyake tossed the berries into his mouth "The taste of victory"

"You two!" Yelled Melinda "Don't run off without telling us"

"But Grandmaaa"

"We know where you two are thanks to search magic, we won't get lost. Besides, we spent our entire lives in this forest"

Melinda pulled their ears "That isn't an excuse to outright disappear" she hissed, walking away

"Ho-Ho" Merlin laughed, casting his fishing rod into the water

"Have you caught anything, Grandpa?" Shin and Miyake approached him from behind. Miyake held Shin's arm tightly as they walked on the creaky wooden dock.

"See for yourself," a magic circle appeared, and out of it fell five salmon.

"Ooooh" Shin crouched down to look at them detaching himself from Miyake, who immediately fell to the ground.

Melinda was sunbathing on the shore when she opened one eye to check on the boys. To her surprise, she saw Shin poking some salmon in the eye and Miyake crawling toward her. He reached solid ground and sprinted towards Melinda, dropping to the ground and gasping for air as soon as he reached her.

"Are you okay, Miyake?" She asked, placing her hand on his shoulder, a worried look overcame her face

"Yeah, yeah," He said as he caught his breath "I don't like deep water and all of that" He smiled weakly at her

Melinda gave Miyake a warm embrace and smiled kindly at him. "Everyone has fears, Miyake. But that doesn't mean they should hold you back." She gently patted his head and looked towards the dock. "Even your grandpa has his own fears."

"Really?"

"Yes. But they never stopped him from achieving his goals, I remember one time he said to me that fears are like walls, as we age, they do too, some collapse while others get sturdier, but there will come a time when you have to face that wall."

"But what if I'm not ready by then" Miyake hugged his knees as he looked as one salmon slapped Shin on the cheek

"You will be ready." She brought her arm around him, pulling him closer and a warm smile "Never in life will you face a challenge that you aren't ready for, even if you think you aren't, that alone will push you to overcome your hurdles"