Opposites Attract (Tobin Heath)

Please Vote and Comment!

•••••

In the bustling lobby of the hotel, Tobin's fingers danced anxiously over her phone screen. Her heart fluttered with anticipation as she awaited the arrival of someone special. The USWNT team buzzed around her, preparing for their upcoming match, but Tobin's focus was elsewhere.

"Tobin, what's got you so distracted?" Ashlyn's voice broke through Tobin's reverie, drawing her attention.

Tobin bit her lip, her cheeks flushing slightly as she met Ashlyn's curious gaze. "Just... waiting for someone," she admitted softly.

A knowing smirk tugged at Christen's lips as she observed Tobin's nervous demeanor. She had caught wind of Tobin's secret girlfriend, stumbling upon the pair during an unexpected encounter. Memories of their first meeting flooded Tobin's mind, igniting a warmth in her chest that spread with each passing moment. Today, she would finally introduce her love to the team, and Tobin couldn't contain her excitement.

~Flashback~

On her day off from Portland Thorns practice, Tobin decided to treat herself to a leisurely stroll to her favorite bakery, a mere five blocks from her apartment. Dressed in comfy sweatpants, her USWNT hoodie, and casual slides, she immersed herself in the tunes flowing through her AirPods as she made her way.

The tantalizing scent of freshly baked goods guided her to the bakery's entrance, her stomach grumbling in anticipation. With her gaze fixed on her phone screen, Tobin inadvertently collided with an obstacle, causing her phone to slip from her grasp and clatter to the ground.

Startled, Tobin looked up to see a figure clad in a black shirt turning to face her. Her eyes traveled upward, meeting the gaze of someone with striking icy blue eyes and an arched eyebrow. But it wasn't just their eyes that captivated her – it was the intricate tapestry of tattoos that adorned their sun-kissed skin, from their neck down beneath their shirt, even peeking out on the back of their hands as they brushed a stray lock of hair behind their ear.

"Uh, done staring yet?" Their voice snapped Tobin out of her reverie, their initially stern expression softening into an amused smirk.

Embarrassment flooded Tobin as she realized they were blocking the entrance, and she hastily stepped back, cheeks flushing crimson with embarrassment.

A smirk danced across the woman's lips as she glanced down at the cracked phone on the floor, prompting Tobin to follow her gaze. Tobin's heart sank at the sight of her damaged device.

"Shit," Tobin muttered, a pout forming on her lips as she retrieved her phone from the ground.

Meeting the woman's gaze once more, Tobin's cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "I'm so sorry for bumping into you," she apologized, her voice tinged with genuine regret.

The woman studied Tobin for a moment before speaking in her deep, raspy voice. "I'm Jace. What's your name, beautiful?"

Tobin's blush deepened at the compliment, and she shyly responded, "Tobin."

Jace nodded, a hint of a smile playing on her lips as she gestured towards the register. "It's on me. Get something."

Intrigued by Jace's offer and drawn to her magnetic presence, Tobin couldn't resist the opportunity. With a grateful smile, she made her way to the register, her curiosity piqued by the enigmatic woman she had just met.

~Flashback Ends~

"Hey, Tobin, Ash!" Ali's voice chimed in from behind, accompanied by the rest of the team.