eight

"Denny! There's someone at the door!" 

It's Quincy's turn to cook dinner tonight and she's set about with a pretty ambitious risotto, so I've been banished from the kitchen. If I'm in there, I distract her too much with my commentary and then we end up ordering takeout because neither of us paid any attention to the food.

Half melted into the couch, fanning myself against the summer heat and wishing we had aircon, I'm half tempted to leave whoever's at the door there to rot. Until my phone starts ringing and it's Lando and then I'm up and off the couch in an instant.

He's leaning in the doorway, obviously trying to play it cool, but he's sweat through his shirt and his hair's all flat so the effect's pretty much ruined. "I wanna use the pool."

"What happened to hello? How are you?" I ask as he goes past. "Bubba, you good?"

"Gym's aircon was out. Hiya, Q." He's through the kitchen before she can respond, the backdoors sliding open then closed in a flash.

Quincy laughs, taking a step back from the stove to fan herself with a magazine. "Is he staying for dinner?" I peer out into the backyard, watching as Lando quickly rids himself of his shirt and belly flops into the pool.

"Pretty sure he'd spend the night on a floaty if we let him." He's scrambling onto one now, fighting with the inflatable doughnut until he's managed to situate himself in it and begin to soak up the last few moments of sunshine.

A beeping in the kitchen has Quincy scrambling back to the stove, leaving me to contemplate whether or not I should go outside for a dip as well. I settle on the answer of definitely when I realise it's been a while since I did, rushing upstairs to change into a bikini before following the same frantic path Lando had taken to my pool.

By the time the sun goes down, we're complete raisins and Quincy's still working on dinner.

I offer to help again, with Lando right behind me insisting he's good at cooking, but we're rejected wholeheartedly. 

Lando and I exchange a look, the two of us knowing this is our chance to escape before dishes inevitably come up. "I just got F122 if you wanna play..." 

"Feed Arnold before you do anything else!" Quincy shouts from the kitchen as we begin to head up the stairs.

Lando glances back, swinging an arm at me when I push him to go faster. "Arnold?"

"Quincy just got a lizard. He's weird as fuck."

landonorris has added to their story.
landonorris mentioned ardenkennedy in their story.

ardenkennedy added to their story.
ardenkennedy mentioned landonorris in their story.