twenty-eight

"That's the one, super cute," I tell the girls currently posing for a photo with Lando.

They giggle and squeal, thanking me profusely before running off to their gate.

Once they're gone, Lando's arm comes around my waist once more, guiding me back toward the coffee shop we've been trying to get to since landing in Heathrow.

It's barely eight in the morning and the terminal's already bustling with people. The two girls catching us for a photo was the first time we've had to deal with fans since landing, thankfully, so I have no issue leaning back into Lando's embrace as we wait in line to order.

The barista takes our orders with little fuss, other than to give me a look of understanding when I ask for an additional two shots in my latte.

By the time we've got our orders, a latte for me and a tea for Lando, we've been stopped a few more times and I'm more than ready to climb into Quincy's car and be around people that don't squeal when they see Lando.

Not that I mind, I mean, I understand why, but it takes a lot of energy.

Of course, as soon as I climb into Quincy's self-proclaimed Mummy-mobile, I'm regretting my rush to get there.

"I told you so," she sings as soon as we're seated and buckled up. "We both told you so."

From the front seat, Max nods. Smug asshole.

I spare a glance in Lando's direction, rolling my eyes but still smiling as our two best friends launch into a lengthy explanation as to why they'd been right and we'd been wrong.

Lando squeezes my leg, his grip warm and reassuring as we listen to Quincy and Max play off each other. They're both so animated, their hands flailing as they argue their points to each other more than to us.

I can't help but grin, leaning into Lando's side. "Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" I whisper.

He nods, "They'll figure it out."

The rest of the ride is spent much like the beginning with the occasional question shot in our direction about the last few races and what our plans are for the short break we have.

As we near our destination, the tension in my shoulders from being so constantly in the public eye finally starts to ease. Busy roads give way to quiet lanes, people rushing to and fro turn give way to children laughing and running in their yards, and the quiet it brings is absolutely euphoric.

Quincy pulls into the driveway of our shared home, surrounded by lush greenery and blooming flowers, and my heart sings. Quincy's clearly done a good job managing everything and I'm so damn happy to be home.

I take a deep breath, letting the sweet summer air fill my lungs as we all pile out of the car. Quincy unlocks the front door and we all shuffle inside with bags in hand, grateful for the quiet and calm that surrounds us.

"God, it feels good to be home," I say, slipping off my shoes and sinking into the couch. We're only here for a few days, a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things as Lando's needed back in Monaco but I already know this time away is exactly what the doctor ordered, as they say.

Lando comes to sit down beside me, his arm slung over the back of the couches he reaches around to play with a piece of my hair. He leans in close, his lips brushing against my ear. "I missed this," he whispers.

I turn to face him, my lips meeting his in a quick, happy kiss. God, why did I ever think it'd be a good idea to stop kissing him? He responds eagerly, moving closer to deepen the kiss with the faintest hint of a grin still on his lips.