Chapter 7: Frozen Lake

Despite the celestial scholars' apparent disapproval of the idea of me joining the training session, it remained in full swing that morning.

I didn't know what to expect. I've never had this kind of experience before. There's very little I know about magic and witnessing it being used in different instances has scared me shitless. I'm not confident I can handle myself better this time.

"Watch your stance."

I turned my head to Mr. Lowe standing beside me while the rest of the group dispersed around the dimensional room. At first, I didn't understand what he meant until a strange stream of light appeared on the floor where I was standing. The light formed a circle while drafting strange symbols I recognized as part of a magic circle.

My feet were lifted several feet from the ground, causing me to panic. "Wait, wait—!"

Mr. Lowe, who was standing on a separate magic circle beside me, only chuckled at my obvious inexperience. The scholars were lifted in mid-air one by one while standing on the magic circles they've created. How can they look so at ease with the sensation of standing several feet from the ground?

A sudden change inside the room caught my attention. A thick mist was suddenly veiling the entire room. Within seconds, I could no longer see anything clearly from below. The walls faded among the mist and the temperature around us dropped to a single digit, draping our skin in goosebumps.

What's happening?

The sudden change was followed by sharp cracking sounds. With the mists slowly fading, the solid ground was now replaced by gray ice. Around us, the cold breeze intensified, sending crisp howls to our ears. The stone room completely disappeared and we were now surrounded by the muted whiteness of a snow covered valley.

"Good, they're prepared."

I looked down to see what Mr. Lowe was referring to. The scholars had descended back to the ground and they were now standing over a frosty lake in an alert stance.

So this is why they were all wearing thicker uniforms than normal, with the soles of  their shoes able to grip the ice. I  could barely keep myself warm despite the thick fabric of my uniform.

Mr. Lowe had a complacent smile on his face before he tossed something into the air. Glistening in the crisp frosty breeze was a palm-size silver ball.

"Let's start the game!"

The scholars moved so swiftly yet, they didn't create any sound or pressure in the air. I couldn't catch their every movement by mere sight but I could see them swooping around the snow covered valley.

"It's a simple game of catching the ball." Mr. Lowe informed me while we're watching them from the magic circles. "If they can keep the ball in their hands for more than 5 seconds, they'll score a point. Easy, right?"

I silently shook my head. No, it isn't. I  could see the formation of magic circles under their feet to aid with their fast movements, ready to take on the flying silver ball.

Atlas easily swept the ball right into his raised hand. It propelled into his palm as though being sucked by his energy. But before the countdown could start, another member of the group lounged into his direction. Two magic circles collided against each other.

Theo. I think that's the guy's name. They were briefly introduced to me earlier. Unlike Atlas with calculated movements, Theo seemed to move in sudden, impulsive bursts. What could Theo do?

The crisp air started swirling above us, creating a small tornado-like funnel. I had to clasp down the heavy skirt of my uniform to avoid the hem from fluttering in the wind.