CHAPTER XIV

WANDA MAXIMOFF'S POV

Where was she? Was she back in the Soul Realm? How did it all occur? All Wanda remembered was that Parker Robbins wanted to train her more on her abilities, and that was the end of it. Wanda was in aching discomfort but had no visible injuries. She was exhausted but not physically. She heard noises but couldn't see anything other than a black space. Was that her voice? Steve was speaking with her, but she hadn't opened her mouth.

"Steve?" Wanda's voice echoed in the abyss. "Steve, can you hear me?" Another echo, but no response from Steve. It was almost like he couldn't hear her, but he was somehow communicating with her? It didn't make sense! "Steve!"

"I'm proud of you, Wanda. You finally see why this is all necessary."

"Yes, it's for the good of the universe. We must control and detain Tony Stark." She didn't desire that! Not anymore, at least. No one knew more than Steve! Why was she saying that?! "Steve, I don't want that! You know that!" Still not a response from him. "Why aren't you listening to me?!" How was it possible that he wasn't listening to her?! He was speaking with her! It was like Wanda was invisible to Steve. Did someone... Did someone else take over her body?! Was that what happened?! Was Parker Robbins involved in it? He was the last person she remembered. Wanda knew that she should never have trusted him!

It was all Steve and Natasha's fault! Because of them, Parker Robbins replaced her and entrapped her in an endless void! It was traumatizing to view the whole world but not interact with it! How the world would move on without care, sympathy, or notice; how an individual could hear and see everything but never communicate verbally or non-verbally. Now, she was alone, utterly alone inside her mind, with only her thoughts to keep her company. Wanda was already alone when her brother abandoned her, but now, she was isolated from Steve and Natasha. How could anyone live like that?!

Was that what her victims experienced when she trapped them in their minds? Was that what her victims underwent as she killed them? As she murdered them without remorse? She never cared about the tortured ones because it only advantaged and satisfied her thirst for revenge against a man who didn't have anything to do with her parents' deaths. HYDRA even constantly devalued the victims as HYDRA's most dangerous enemies, and at the time, she believed them because the organization was the only family she had ever known. They provided her with a sense of sanity, stability, and security. She didn't understand any better. What had she done?! Everyone was right: Pietro, her parents, and her victims. Wanda was a monster! A vile, disgusting, and wretched monster! How could she live with herself?!

What had become of her? When did she change? When had it all gone wrong? She had thought about it for some time and came to terms with a decision: she made horrid life-altering decisions. Wanda was an adult; she was old enough to understand Tony Stark wasn't responsible for the devastating bombing. She should have accepted that and worked with Tony Stark, not against him. Her situation would have had an entirely different outcome if she had done that. Tony Stark would have liked her, Pietro wouldn't have disowned her, and Vision would have still wanted her.

There was no one else to blame; it was so much easier to accuse someone else because everyone always did it. It was much easier to accept that than the actual truth. It was how Wanda often coped anyway, but now she honestly had no one else to blame because it was only Wanda against herself. It was her responsibility; she had no other choice but to accept accountability. She was the one to blame. Not Tony Stark, not HYDRA, not Steve, not Natasha, and not Parker Robbins. It was all her fault.

What had she done?

TONY STARK'S POV

"What are you thinking about, Tony?" Clint appeared behind Tony, most likely emerging from the vents. How was he not able to hear Clint? Tony wasn't sure, but it was nice to know Clint hadn't changed a bit after having children. His sudden appearance didn't surprise him; personal experience taught him always to expect that from Clint.

"Oh, only the usual thoughts in life: how to subdue dangerous and destructive threats, how to deal with the Rogues' constantly annoying presence, and how to ensure the universe's safety."

"Is it honestly all that bad?" Clint asked nervously.

"I'm not sure, but we might encounter a threat worse than we ever experienced, especially with the remaining Rogues still on the loose."

"Right."

"So, how are you, Laura, and the kids?" Tony asked, attempting to change the uneasy subject.

"Laura and the kids are alright, but... Can I talk to you about something?"

"OK?"

"So, Laura and I have talked about it for a while, and we are concerned about the kids. Well, it is more me than Laura."

"OK, concerned about what?"

"My powers; about if one or both of them inherit them. I don't want that for them, but we will have to be prepared if that happens, and I am unsure if I can help them. I am still learning about my powers. I still don't understand the full extent of them."

"So, you want me to train them?"

"You seem to have the most control over your powers, and I'm sure the kids would like to spend more time with their favorite uncle."

"By default, because I am their only uncle."

"Sure, Tony, whatever you want to believe," Chris huffed, irritatedly rolling his eyes. "There is also something else I want to discuss with you."

"OK, let it out."

"It is well within your right to refuse, but if the threat is as dangerous as you think, can you promise me something?"

"Anything, Clint."

"In the event that something happens to me, and even worse, if something happens to Laura as well, can you look after the kids?"

"What? Why me?" It wasn't like Tony wasn't willing to help with his niece and nephew because he had always done that regardless. But why choose him to care for them? He wasn't the most responsible person in the world. There were other better choices than Tony. He would screw those kids up. Tony wouldn't live with himself if that happened.

"Because Laura and I trust you, and you have done a decent enough job with raising Jessica. Not to mention, all the kids on the team love you. You were always the first choice anyway."

"Really?"

"Are you surprised?" Of course Tony was! Someone with more experience with young children, especially toddlers and infants, would have been the ultimate choice, but Tony could understand. Anyone would have been more comfortable with placing their children into the care of family members, at least in the care of the most trusted family members.

"No."

"So, will you do it?"

"Of course, I would do anything for you, Clint." Clint didn't say anything; he only smiled at Tony and brought him into a hug. Tony wasn't a father but understood the stress of ensuring his children's protection, especially in his line of work. Still, Tony hoped it would never come to that. He would never let it happen under his watch. Tony would never allow his niece and nephew to grow up without a mother and a father. Not if he could help it.