a f f e c t i o n a t e

MAIA GOLDBERG/RHEE
"The Loner Turned Lover"

MAIA GOLDBERG/RHEE"The Loner Turned Lover"

*:・✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚

I rub Daryl's shoulder gently as we step through the woods. "I'm here." I murmur gently to the man. "Everyone is here for you. You may not know it, but we are never leaving you." The man shares a smile back to me and pulls me into an awkward side-hug while we continue walking.

We approach the paved path, finding the backs of our group. They all stand present and accounted for in a circle, surrounding something shocking.

Water. Lots of it.

Bottles and jugs filled to the brim with water lay abandoned, or possibly planted, in the middle of a roadway. A single paper sign with black marker scribbled across, indicating it came from someone trust worthy.

"From a friend?" I read the writing out loud. The group just stands silently, eyes boring into the drinks.

Michonne turns to Rick. "You think it's really safe?"

"Doubt it," Carol says, turning back and fourth on her heels and scanning the trees. "It's most likely a trap, probably got something in it."

The group remains in its silent state until Eugene speaks quickly and dryly.

"I, for one, would like to believe it's from a friend." Without any hesitation, he lunges forward towards the water. As he picks up and uncaps a water, a plethora of protests fly his way. Just as the bottle is raised to his mouth, Abraham rushes forward and smacks the container to the ground, leaving Eugene petrified.

"We can't." Rick mumbles, staring daggers at the man who nearly chugged the possibly poisoned water.

The air is still, tension so thick you could cut it with Michonnes sword. No one speaks, not a single word is shared between people.

But suddenly, a miracle.

Thunder roars nearby and a gentle sound of something hitting the pavement makes itself known. The sound replicates, again and again until I can feel the refreshing coolness of water on my skin.

"Oh my god," I mutter and outstretch my arms to feel the constant raindrops.

Everyone laughs and hollers with pure joy. Tara and Rosita lie on the ground, eyes shut as they bask in this glorious moment. I look over to Carl and find his mouth hung open, trying to catch raindrops upon his tongue. A breathless laugh escapes my lips and I mimic his movements.

"Everyone, get the bags." Rick jumps to action quickly. "Anything you can find." The group immediately searches through their belongings to locate and container that could hold the fresh water.

As I go to help, I find Maggie and Sasha, standing next to one another, a grim look of loss and depression on their face. I quickly step over to them and my hands interlock with their own.