Chapter 8

Lance stayed silent as he followed Lotor through the long halls of the ship, mind racing over all the possibilities as to why the prince had requested to see him. His nerves spiked as the Galran stopped in front of huge double doors, turning to Lance. "I wanted to show you something that I think you would enjoy." Lance regarded the prince silently, before nodding slowly. Lotor smiled, before pushing open the doors to reveal the largest garden Lance had ever seen. The multitude of plants seemed to stretch in every direction, the bright colors pulling Lances eyes every which way. "What is this?" Lance asked, eyes wide. "These plants are all the last of their kind. It took lots of fighting with my father," Lance's heart sunk slightly at the casual use of the endearing term, "But he finally allowed me to collect and keep these plants safe. From each planet the Galra..." Lotor hesitated, before pressing on, unable to keep the slight grimace off his face. "Conquered, I was allowed to keep some of the native plants."

Lance looked around, his heart sinking more. So many plants. So many planets lost to the Galran Empire. "I know it seems rather... depressing... but it truly is beautiful here. If you would allow me, I'd like to show you my personal favorite." Lance looked up to Lotor, who was looking down at him hopefully. He looked back to the foliage, before nodding. Lotor smiled and offered his arm to Lance, who took it reluctantly.

As they walked through the garden, Lotor told him about the many different plants and flowers, each one more interesting than the last. As Lance listened to the Galran talk, he found himself looking up through the glass ceiling to the stars overhead. He scanned the always-expanding sky, his eyes widening when he noticed the huge nebula that shone bright. Watching the beautiful sight, he was reminded of why he even wanted to travel to space in the first place. A small smile grew on his face as he looked on, feeling the anxiety that had been growing in his chest slowly disappear.

He was pulled out of his thoughts as he heard noticed Lotor had stopped talking. Turning to look at the taller, his eyes widened when he noticed just how softly the Galran was regarding him. He looked away quickly, feeling his face burn slightly. "What?" Lotor shook his head softly. "I can show you the flower later, I think there's something else you'd enjoy more."

After a quick walk back through the garden, Lotor let him into a slightly smaller room, one that almost made completely of glass. Lance had to stifle a small gasp as he was able to see the nebula in all of its beauty, the light purples and pinks swirling together like marble. He tore his eyes away from the beautiful sight back to Lotor, who smiled softly. "Come, sit."

They sat down in the chairs near the large window, before Lotor spoke. "Tell me, Paladin. What is your name? I think it's only fair that I get to know the name of my beloved." Lance raised an eyebrow at the pet name, before looking back to the nebula silently. "Lance. My name's Lance." "Lance." Lotor repeated, a small smile on his face. "A lovely name to match someone as beautiful as you." Lance felt butterflies grow in his stomach. The Galran definitely had a way with words, that was certain. "Tell me, Lance. Why did you choose to be a paladin?" Lance chuckled softly. "I didn't want to be, initially. I had snuck out with my friends, and then we found Shiro- the black paladin- and the rest is history." Lotor raised an eyebrow curiously. "So you didn't want to be a paladin?" Lance shook his head. "I didn't even know what they were, until I had already been forced into the role." Lotor hummed thoughtfully. "If you could change your status of paladin, would you?" Lance looked up to the stars silently. "I... I don't know. We've helped so many people, and freed so many planets, but... I miss my family. I don't even know how long I've been gone." Lotor nodded, looking to the stars as well. "Your family. What are they like?"

Lance couldn't help the small smile that grew on his face as he thought of his family. "Well... for starters, I have five other siblings. Two brothers, and three sisters." Lotor's eyes widened. "Five?" Lance nodded. "Five. And then I have my niece and nephew. And my mother and father. Including me, that's 10 people in one house." Lotor was stunned silent. "What is the reason behind this? Surely you all don't need to live together?" Lance shrugged. "Maybe, but we were all happy. There were times when I thought people were for sure going to leave, but we all stayed together. It definitely got hectic, but it was... hectic in a warm way. You were never really alone anywhere you went, you know?" He looked back to Lotor, a fond smile on his face. Lotor nodded. "Being here, away from them, do you feel... alone?" Lance felt his throat tighten at the question. He had never really realized just how crazy all of this was. He had left for the Garrison, and then disappeared into space without another thought. He didn't even know how long he had been gone. What if he had missed something important? He felt his eyes water slightly. "I've felt alone for a while. I mean, I have the team- or had, I guess- but, it doesn't feel the same. Everything is just too... quiet." Lotor looked down to the floor, mulling over what Lance had said. "I see. I'm sorry if these questions make you uncomfortable, but I've never really known... family." Lance felt his heart clench. "My father has always been very closed off and angry. So angry. I remember once as a child, I brought up my mother's illness and he... well he broke my arm." Lance looked up to Lotor, mortified. How could someone do something so horrid? To their own son no less? "What about your mother?" Lotor went silent, an unreadable look passing over his face. Lance cursed himself internally. He had obviously hit a nerve with that question. "My mother... she died when I was young. She fell ill after I was born. I never really knew her." Lance felt his stomach twist. "I'm... I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have asked about that-" Lotor looked back to him slowly, raising an eyebrow. "How would you have known? It's quite alright, Lance." Lance bit his bottom lip, looking back to the nebula. "I'm still sorry." Lotor chuckled lightly. Just as he went to speak, a guard barged into the room.

"My prince, it's Voltron. They've found our location again. We need you to come to the bridge." Lotor stood up quickly, nodding. "Take him back to his cell." The guard nodded before walking forward and grabbing Lance, dragging him out of the room quickly. Lance sighed and allowed himself to get dragged back to his cell, unable to give Lotor a goodbye before he left.

Lance let out a small huff as he landed on his bed, laying back. He inspected the ceiling silently as he went over what had happened in his head. His breath hitched when he recalled the soft look Lotor had given him. He knew it was terrible to think this, since he was most likely being used for information, but it was nice being wanted. He knew it was a stupid thought, but it was one he couldn't stop thinking. That feeling vanished when he recalled just how many plants had been in that garden. Had Lotor really helped the Empire conquer that many planets? He felt his heart sink, as he tried to rationalize just how many planets that would be. Lance turned over in his bed slowly, feeling his stomach churn. Could he really go along with this? This man was a murderer. He looked over to Aezul, who had since passed out. He smiled softly as he watched the reptilian sleep, the tightness he felt in his chest slowly fading away. He would go along with this. Aezul deserved so much more than what he had been given. He sighed and turned to look up at the ceiling, before getting up and grabbing tue book out from under his bed. Why not give the story one more read?

???/ Lotor's POV
Lotor sighed as he walked through the corridors to his bedroom, his mind immediately going to Lance as he walked. Voltron seemed to be getting more desperate when it came to getting Lance back, and he knew it was just a matter of time before they did something brash enough. He ran a hand through his hair as he walked into his room, relaxing some once the door closed. Sitting on the edge of his bed he slowly pulled his boots off, before getting to work on the rest of the armor he had on. Once he was free from the constricting metal, he stretched, groaning gratefully as he did so. Rubbing a sore spot on his back, he slowly got up and changed in to something much more comfortable. Stretching again, he turned to one of the many bookshelves in his room, before grabbing a random book, smiling softly at his selection.

He hadn't even been able to sit down before his door slid open, and in walked two Druids. He glared warily at Haggar as she walked in, slowly standing back up. "Why have you been talking to the paladin, Prince?" Lotor placed the book down, feeling the beginning of a headache creeping its way into his head. "That is none of your concern. You should be worried about locating the quintessence field, not whom I chose to spend my time with." "He is a prisoner!" She hissed. Lotor narrowed his eyes in response, crossing his arms. "I'm only doing this since you couldn't seem to carry out your job correctly. We need information on how to work the Blue lion, and I'm getting it. So I suggest you keep to yourself, and let me do what needs to be done." Haggar went quiet, clenching her jaw. "And what information have you gained so far?" Lotor scoffed. "That, once again, is none of your concern. Now, get out of my room, witch." Haggar went silent once again before turning on her heel and quickly leaving the room, her druids following close behind. Once the door shut, Lotor sat back down on his bed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Infuriating woman."