Chapter Twenty-Four: You've Got a Friend in Me

Hill 122 finally fell, and the 90th could march across France. They rushed the injured to a collection of large tents, which acted as the infirmary. Alice, who came with the other nurses, had kicked Suzie out of the infirmary because Suzie had refused to leave Richard's side. He had fallen unconscious shortly before the medics arrived. Suzie had kept her fingers pressed against Richard's wrist, counting each pulse and praying for help.

A few days later, Suzie paced outside the infirmary tent, waiting for Alice to update her about Richard's condition. She had complimented Suzie's bandaging skills but had told her to get some fresh air and stay out of the way.

Vazquez appeared at one point and asked about Richard. He did not apologize for the argument, and neither did Suzie. She knew she would have to face the brass soon. She did not care. Richard's well-being always came first.

Her friend almost died, she had jeopardized her position in the army, and she could only pace and wait. She hated feeling useless and alone. She wanted her mom.

An MP came up to Suzie before Alice did.

"Private Riley Barnes, the Colonel wants to see you," the MP said. He gestured toward the Colonel's tent which stood on the opposite side of the camp and far away from Richard.

Resigning to her fate, Suzie sighed and glanced one last time at the burlap sides of the infirmary tent. Blood and medical chemicals permeated the air. The occasional shout of pain sliced through the bustling camp.

"I can walk by myself," Suzie said when the MP followed her to the Colonel's tent.

"I'm supposed to escort you," the MP replied. His bulk of muscle dwarfed her and his stiff demeanor made her feel even smaller.

Deciding not to push her luck, Suzie remained silent and let the MP lead her to the Colonel to hear her fate.

The MP held open the flap of the tent and motioned for Suzie to step inside. The flap closed behind her, and Suzie snapped into a salute when she saw Colonel Partridge. He had only been in command of the troops for less than a month, so Suzie stood ramrod straight until he signaled for her to relax.

"Private Riley Barnes, isn't it?" Partridge asked. He had a stocky build and thinning hair. A frown tugged at his lips as he leaned against his chair.

A small, wooden table served as his desk, strewn with papers and maps. Scattered around on crates, the ground, and other available spaces were radios and other small equipment. A buzzing mosquito flew around the Colonel's head, but he did not seem to notice. The disorganization of the whole tent made Suzie's eye twitch, and she suppressed the urge to stack the paper into a neat pile.

"Yes, sir," Suzie choked out. She intertwined her fingers behind her back to keep herself from doing or saying something stupid. She had rehearsed her defense while pacing in front of the infirmary. Richard had taught her how to give a thought-out argument. It helped to have a lawyer friend.

"I'm sure you know why you're here."

"Yes, sir."

"Because I have other matters more important than a soldier disobeying a ranking officer, I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Corporal Vazquez informed me of your actions but I want to hear your side of the story." Leaning forward, Partridge placed his clasped hands on top of his desk and stared up at Suzie.

"I-I...didn't want to leave an injured soldier, sir," Suzie said. "Quite frankly, sir, I believe I am not wrong for what I did. We were always told not to leave the injured behind and I would never leave my friend. He's like a brother to me and I could never live with myself if he died while I obeyed Corporal Vazquez's orders."