Chapter 1

ᴍᴀᴘʟᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇꜱ
_______
♫  ᴄʜᴏꜱᴇɴ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴏɴɢ  ♫
- "ʀɪʙꜱ" ʙʏ ʟᴏʀᴅᴇ
________________

ᴍᴀᴘʟᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇꜱ_______♫  ᴄʜᴏꜱᴇɴ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴏɴɢ  ♫- "ʀɪʙꜱ" ʙʏ ʟᴏʀᴅᴇ________________

_______________________________

The sun was climbing higher as the minutes ticked by. Three young men had set off at dawn to walk up the mountain to their cultivation training grounds, to meet their assigned royal master of the arts. Red leaves fluttered to the ground, colors blooming alive like a fire around them. Burning at the cold, a warm and comforting sense of familiarity hung the the air between the three. Conversation was occurring, both conversing parties fought, while the middle ground stood between them. Like a current directing water, the crown prince smoothed out the fold and wrinkles between his two accomplices. Xie Lian was like a jewel of great brilliance in his friends eyes. To be next to their Dianxia was enough to make both of their hearts flutter. His attention was everything to them, and one couldn't stand the other getting more attention.

When both finally stopped arguing, Feng Xin spoke up. "Sorry Your Highness for creating the extra commotion." Feng Xin turned his head to face the crown princes face, smiling lightly. On the other side of the divine, Mu Qing snorted and rolled his eyes. "When ever you decide to stop being such a suck up to Dianxia is the day you'll die."

Xie Lian could feel himself start to feel nervous. They were both so easy to rile up, and even after he just settled them! Maybe just because their personalities seemed to clash that they couldn't help it.

A red leaf swept across the princes vision, the enchanting blaze of colors was truly a sight to behold. Tipping his chin up, his eyes brushed over the branches of soft fire. A overwhelming feeling of purpose rolled through his body while losing himself to thought. This was where he was meant to be. He looked to both his sides. With them. Feng Xin and Mu Qing. His best friends. This was how it would look for the rest of their days, even if they ascended, he'd make sure they do it together. They'd be know as XianLe's pride and joy. They'd travel together, and never stray from each others side. It would be their life written in stone. He smiled, but a strange pull tugged on his heart strings. But a stone can rust over, and can be forgotten about, and seem just like the rock next to it. The negative thought disrupted his mood, and the previously bickering duo noticed the change in his face.

Mu Qing quickly retrieved a clean silk cloth from his small bag, which was hidden in between his robes. He swiftly moved and rubbed gently at a spot on Xie Lian's face. The boy looked into Xie Lian's eyes and felt his heart beat skip over the rhythm it simatain-iusly pounded. Eyes catching sparks, he quietly looked back over to the cheek he was sliding the delicate and soft cloth over. "Let's sit down, shall we? Take a break? There's a little smudge of dirt on your face Dianxia, if you would allow me to clean it, we are about half way up the mountain anyhow." A nervous smile broke out on the rosy face. His hair fluttered and he glanced up into his friends eyes once again. Xie Lian smiled back with a nod and Mu Qing felt his spirits immediately lift. The warm smiles of pure innocence were something he always sought out from his crown prince. It made time stop and his thoughts think backwards. Like his head had gone mad and his heart had flown off the tracks. Nothing made him feel this way. He could hear Feng Xin scoff from behind them before walking over to lean against a maple.

With the other two so close, Feng Xin felt like he was losing attention, and his heart throbbed. He wanted the smile Mu Qing got. Why did he get it? Anyone could have noticed the dirt on Xie Lian's face! So why did he get to clean it off for him. Jealousy thrashed and burned in his chest as he watched the display of affection. Jaw clenching into a fake smile as his subordinate, walked over, a small giddy smile on his face. Why the hell was he smiling for? As XianLe's beautiful prince strolled over, a sense of warmth and comfort washed over him. Mu Qing's dumb smile didn't matter anymore, and he offered his hand to Xie Lian to help him sit down on the small blanket Mu Qing had placed down. In an elegant sweep, his fingers were met with warm jade, soft as feathers, and delicate as glass. In a perfect shape and posture, Xie Lian jumped over a root obstructing his path. Feng Xin watched in a hopeless daze. Nothing could pry his attention as his prince came closer to his person. Nothing except the arm that wrapped around the curvy figures waist, a black sleeve with long, draping sweeps of fabric that danced in the wind. It was none other than Mu Qing's, who securely helped the crown prince land. Still holding Feng Xin's hand, Xie Lian smiled and sighed contently. "Thank you Feng Xin, Mu Qing. I must say, it would be rather nice to rest underneath a maple tree. Come, sit with me, will you?"

Xie Lian then pulled Feng Xin down onto the lain cloth, elegantly woven into a seemly deep red. It almost directly matched with the bushels of leaves. As sun-kissed skin, mostly hidden away with golden robes met the red blanket, two darker clothed figures landed beside him. The crown prince brought his body away, trading his upright position for his head in Feng Xin's lap, pulling a Mu Qing to his abdomen. Mu Qing let himself be dragged, laying onto his back, resting against the expensive robes of his first friend. The three boys relished the soft breeze that blew through their hair, tickling their faces and bodies. Compassion and care was heavy on the air around them. A comfortable silence placed around them as they snuggled into each other, forgetting the reasons the went up the mountain in the first place.

Mu Qing pulled a basket of pink peaches and light green pears to them. Soft flesh skins were warmed by the shy sun, the woven wood meant to contain the fruit was dry and smooth. A chance of a splinter or ridged surface was zero unless it was somehow busted. With the soft crunch of wood shifting over the grass and the carefully intertwined wood creaking, the fruits were slowly passed through out the disciples. Lost is their own worlds, they each took a disconnected bite. As the thick layer of protection was broken through, juices wetted the lips that met the base of the exposed flesh. Sweet and tangy would have been an understatement for the delicacy they ate. Perfectly formed and ripened fruit with soft tissue and slender juices that was bore in the fruit. It was a taste to savor for the rest of one's life. Adding into the memory of the moment.

Warmth spread with the fondness of the moment like blood in their own veins. It felt as though they were connected, and couldn't be separated. Warm sun, cool shade, beautiful scenery, soft wind, and loving people beat through their memories. If their hearts had a tune, this was certainly the melody. Almost as if they shared one body and mind. Their souls drifting into the others embrace. It was truly one of the happiest moments of their lives.

"Do you think we can always stay like this? Together?"

The sudden comment was unpredicted, and Feng Xin and Xie Lian almost didn't know how to answer. To hear such words from Mu Qing, who always shied away, whether out of his timid demeanor, or his golden ego, that was still shining brightly. A warm smile plastered onto Xie Lian's face as he childishly replied, confident with his whole heart.

"As long as XianLe stands, and I'm your crown prince, I will make sure that wherever I go, I'll have my best friends right behind me."

A soft chuckle murmured from Feng Xin's throat. "Then I'll always be one step after you." Looking down at the sleek hair and shiny hair ornaments, Feng Xin's heart raced. If life was always going to be like this, he'd gladly accept it. This moment was everything the three had.

As the basket of fruits eventually emptied, the three packed up what they left. Xie Lian stood and brushed off his robes, before turning to the tree. This maple would always be their maple, until it no longer stood. With calm and controlled slashes with an arrow borrowed from Feng Xin, Xie Lian made small and defined marks.

FX, MQ, + XL

A victors smile on their faces, they stepped back into their path and continued their walk up the mountain, hearts beating as one. On that tree, on that mountain, there were only three people who truly knew what it was like to find beauty in friendships, even if they were as fragile as the bark they were carved into.
_______________________________