Chapter 9: Electric Connections

Izuku was barely awake when the announcement was made.

   "Good morning, class!" Said the enthusiastic voice of All Might. "Today we are doing a training exercise!"

   Izuku blinked and the rest of the class chattered in their unanimous surprise.

   "As I'm sure you're wondering, yes we had other plans for today," All Might sent the class a cheerful smile. "however, I changed my mind. If you want, you can think of this as a pop quiz." He laughed a little as murmurs of shock and dismay rallied around the room. "Go change into your gym uniforms. You know where to meet me." Izuku watched him as he walked away in tired confusion.

   He slipped out of his seat and stretched, watching his peers quietly as they begrudgingly left. Iida and Uraraka sent him a wave before walking out and the others trotted before or after them out into the hallways. 

   Izuku was quick with changing, no longer comfortable in the same room as Bakugo. He quickly slipped off his uniform and on his gym outfit, quickly leaving before Bakugo even had a chance to undo his tie. He promptly made his way to the gym, nodding towards Koda and Todoroki as he passed them and waving at Mina and Kaminari.

   He's mildly taken off guard and confused when Momo approaches him with a worried smile.

   "Midoriya!" She chirps, but it sounds like she's making an effort to come off cheerful. "How have you been?"

   Izuku tilted his head a bit and watched her with mild suspicion. "I've been well. How have you been?"

   "That's lovely! It's good to see you're feeling better." She tapped her fingers in what was likely an effort to come off enthusiastic, but it looked nervous and put-off.

   He looked at her empathetically, picking up on the negative feelings. "Nervous? We don't usually have pop exercises." He hummed gently, giving her and encouraging smile. "You'll do fine."

   "That's not... I'm not trying to..." She puts her hand behind her head with a nervous smile and unsettled body posture. It concerns Izuku. "Are you doing okay? Mentally?"

   He blinked in surprise and stood up properly. "Pardon?"

   "You hid in your dorm for two weeks, for the first one someone was always sat outside your door after and before classes. You never came out. Did you eat at all?" Every part of her, her expression, her body language, her tone, everything is radiating with concern.

   "Not...." Izuku started and then stopped, closing his mouth and thinking of a way to not have to lie or concern her further. "Not in that week, no. But after I retied my string..." He huffed again, finding this conversation rough.

   She watches him with increasing worry. "Are you eating now?"

   Izuku nods, stepping back a pace and gently angling himself away. "Yeah, I am. At least two meals a day."

   Momo hums and nods, opening her mouth only to be interrupted.

   "ATTENTION STUDENTS," All Might loudly starts into a mic, making everyone flinch. He coughed nervously. "Uh... sorry! Look towards the board for sparring partners, randomly picked by a wheel!"

   Izuku and Momo exchange a glance but walk over to the board.

   1. Asui Tsuyu and Tenya Iida

   2. Hitoshi Shinso and Eijiro Kirishima

   3. Momo Yaoyorozu and Ochaco Uraraka

   4. Minoru Mineta and Mashirao Ojiro

   5. Mina Ashido and Kyoka Jiro