Doubt Comes In

(Lance)

Pike stepped out of the pod, grateful for Dagger and Star for taking the rest of Pidge's questions the whole way back. He knew Dagger was quiet, and didn't like talking about himself. And yet, he did.

"Thanks, man," he whispered to his best friend as he passed. Dagger returned with a small smile and a nod. 

Birdie and Shadow were waiting in the bridge when they walked in. He knew Birdie was keeping tabs on one of the head honchos for The Dens, searching through anonymous tips and security feed. It was tedious work, but she never stopped. All they needed was one valid tip, and they would have him. Sadly, they had yet to find one. Shadow, on the other hand, was dancing high up in the supports above. Apparently, the seller they bought the ship from planned and began a project for a second floor above the bridge as an add-on, but the moment Shadow saw the beams, she insisted they take it as is. That girl loved to climb.

She jumped down when they walked in, and Birdie swiped away her holographic screens. When they neared the group, Birdie opened her arms for her usual hello hug. Despite the desire to keep up appearances, Pike obliged, as always. 

When he did, she whispered to him, "Lance, breathe"

And he did. He breathed, turned to the two paladins, and opened his arms wide.

"Welcome to our ship, paladins. Operative Shadow here can give you the tour, show you your rooms, and then you can meet back here for a short briefing. First, we have one rule: knock before entering a room, even if the door is open," he said, and added, "We don't ALWAYS wear our masks, after all. We aren't crazy."

Pidge smiled, but Keith remained emotionless. Nevertheless, both nodded in agreement.

"Wait, so do you guys know each other's identities, then?" Pidge asked.

"Oh of course! How do you think one would be able to hide their identity while living with four other people?" Star answered, laughing.

"By knocking?" Keith deadpanned. Pike knew he was serious, but it was hilarious either way. Pidge nearly fell to the floor with giggles, as did Birdie and Star. 

Pike had always wondered what it would be like if the three ever met; somehow whoever runs the universe decided to let his daydreams come to fruition in the worst coincidence of his life.

Shadow, Keith, and Pidge walked off after that, starting their tour. Once the door closed behind them, Glarni practically ripped off her mask and ran over to Lance, who took his off as well.

"Are you okay?" she asked, putting a hand out.

Lance sighed in return.

"Do you ever feel like you are a different person with the mask? Like you ARE Birdie? Sometimes, I can't help but thinking of myself as PIKE when I'm behind the mask. I see you all, and in my head I think of you by your alias. It has always been that way for me, and yet, I have never felt more like LANCE as I just did. I know they are the same person, WE are the same person. But sometimes-"

"Sometimes Pike is someone who can hide your emotions for you? Yeah, Lance. I feel it all the time. I think we all do. And it's okay. You can be Pike, or Lance, or both. We all love you, ALL of you. And we will get through this together."

"Indeed," Hirej added, his own mask gone.

They all turned to Kdareon, who for once was silent. He shrugged and just said, "As long as Pike still has your humor, I think we're good."

And, for the first time in days, Lance's smile finally reached his tear-stained eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~