Decisions

(Lance)

Lance had no idea what to think. He knew the team was waiting on his call, knowing his past. They knew how he felt about his old life. It was the life of a boy, inexperienced and naïve. His old friends knew him as a flirt, a goofball. He was not that person anymore; for his team, seeing him would be more like meeting a stranger than finding a missing teammate. Lance had expressed many times how he preferred them knowing he was dead than what really happened to him.

Did Voltron know he was a Deathhawk? Did they find out where he had been, what he had done? Or was this all some sick joke of a coincidence?

"Pike? What do you want to do?" Glarni asked quietly on the comms. Not Birdie, the genius hacker and swift assassin. Glarni. She understood: her own family was on Olkarion, and most likely believed her dead as well. 

"Wait until Shadow and I return. I'll have made a choice by then," he replied, not entirely sure he would.

"Understood. ETA?" Dagger questioned.

"5 dobashes"

"See you then."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Pidge)

Pidge had released the post on the intergalactic forums nearly half an hour ago, and still no incoming transmissions. She was starting to wonder if these mysterious "Deathhawks" even looked at the forums. However, without any kind of location or hint of who they were, this was their only shot at getting contact.

After speaking with Fawna, the team had decided that this seemingly rag-tag yet effective group would be a valuable asset to the Coalition. They obviously had viable intel on criminal activity throughout the universe, something Voltron was surprisingly lacking in. 

Pidge stifled a yawn, having stayed up the previous night, laying awake with memories of her missing friend, Lance. Every year, when his birthday rolled around (and, worse, on the anniversary of the day he was taken), she could never seem to fall asleep. She felt like his ghost was plaguing her, something she hated thinking since that implied he had died and left a ghost in the first place. 

Her screen lit up not a moment later, a transmission request blinking center screen. She yelped for her team, and they all lined up behind her. She accepted, and a masked figure took over the display.

"Voltron Coalition, this is Operative Star of the Deathhawks, in charge of research development and planning. You requested a transmission. What is your reasoning?"

Shiro straightened. "I am Shiro, Black Paladin of Voltron. A rescue from one of your missions crash-landed on Earth. She told us about the work you do, and we are offering you an alliance in the Voltron Coalition. We would like to help you, and you help us should the need arise."

Operative Star looked to his left, and after about 3 ticks turned back to the camera.

"I am going to put you on with the rest of the team. We wish to discuss your terms together."

The camera changed, and besides Operative Star, there were only 4 other people. The way he worded it made it seem like that was everyone, but Fawna spoke of them as if they were some glorious army. To be fair, the same could be said about Voltron, she decided.

To the left was a tall, lean female, whose mask had owl-like features and green lights for eyes. Next to her stood an even taller person, and from what Pidge could tell he was most likely a guy. It was hard to tell with some aliens. His suit was mainly white, with black and teal accents. He also appeared to be missing a leg, as his left leg appeared to be all metal. To the right stood a broad figure, with a black and red suit. His arms were crossed, seemingly unamused. Beside him was a very short girl, whose suit was all black, even the metal. She could see Operative Star's suit as well. His was similar in color scheme to the short girl, but his blacks were closer to a dark grey-blue. 

Operative Star gestured to the left, pointing at the teal and green accented individuals. "This is Operative Birdie, our technology and weaponry specialist, and Captain Pike, our leader and sharpshooter." He then gestured to the right, to the other two. "This is Lieutenant Dagger, our close combat specialist and pilot, and Operative Shadow, our surveillance and recon expert."

Voltron did their round of introductions, and as they did so, Pidge wondered why an "operative" was leading the conversation and not the "lieutenant" or "captain". Perhaps it was part of Operative Star's job as "research developer"? Honestly, she didn't see how the two correlated at all.

Just as she finished this line of thought, Lieutenant Dagger stepped forward. 

"How exactly do you plan on helping us? How would we help you?" his deep voice boomed.

Allura took the lead this time. "We plan on assisting with any large-scale missions you may not have the current manpower for. Although Zarkon is gone and the universe liberated, we recognize there are still those without freedom that need liberation. In exchange, we simply want information on the slave trades. We knew they existed, but we were unable to procure anything beyond that. Where did your information come from?"

"It came from us," the taller girl said, Operative Birdie, Pidge recalled. "We were stuck in the slave trade ourselves, some of us for only a year, some for our whole lives. Some were in the labor trades, and some in the... other... trades. We all met when we were transferred to The Dens, a fighting ring for 'particularly violent' slaves-"

"The ones who had the guts and brawn to throw a punch at their owners," Operative Shadow clarified darkly.

"Yes," Operative Birdie continued, "we were able to escape together, and formed the Deathhawks. We combined our talents and work to force the trades into destruction."

"Sooo, does that mean you are interested in an alliance?" Hunk inquired.

The Deathhawks all turned to Captain Pike, who only nodded. He hasn't said a single word. So much for "leader", Pidge grumbled internally.

"Yes. We accept the alliance. Let us know what information you need, and we will send you a transmission when we need any assistance," Operative Star answered, "have a good-"

"Wait. Shouldn't we meet face to face or something? Compare information in-person? Or maybe, oh, I don't know, actually know who we're working with?" Keith pried.

"Our identities are kept secret for a reason, Red Paladin," Operative Shadow responded, hands on her hips in agitation.

"That's a fair question, though. It's only right for them to be curious, Shadow. No need to be all guarded and mysterious," Operative Star replied with a cool, yet fiery tone. From what Pidge could tell, it didn't sound like he hated her, per se, but it did remind her of how she and Matt would fight. Maybe they were siblings? That actually made sense, considering their similar color schemes and close heights.

"Enough," Captain Pike ordered with a finality. Both froze, and immediately seemed to compose themselves.

"We will allow 2 paladins of your choice to come to the coordinates we will send you and meet us there in 3 quintants. No more paladins than 2. Our secrecy is extremely important. That's all. Until then, Voltron," he added.

Captain Pike stepped forward, pressed a button, and the transmission went dead.