VI - Threat

In front of Kyobo Book Centre, Suzy took a subtle picture of its exterior and posted it in her Instagram story. She felt delighted as it is one of her go-to places during weekends, and the feeling of entering it just never gets old for her. 

Once inside there, she couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement. The scent of new books filled her nostrils, and she could practically taste the anticipation in the air. She was on a quest for something new, something that would fuel her mind.

Her eyes darted from shelf to shelf, scanning titles and covers in search of that elusive spark. She had already absorbed every book on her own shelves at home, leaving her craving for more. It was time to indulge herself in the attractive world of literature once again.

Just as Suzy was about to give up hope on finding anything remotely intriguing, a shimmering spine caught her eye. The title read 'The Song of the Cell,' and its cover depicted a cell illustration in vibrant colors. Her mind wondered with anticipation as she reached out to grab it.

But just as her fingertips brushed against the smooth surface of the book, a feminine voice interrupted her thoughts from behind.

"So it's you," blurted by a woman with an air of arrogance, her voice dripping with contempt. She stood as tall as her with piercing eyes, seeming like she has already started a war with Suzy in her mind with each glance.

Suzy blinked in confusion, taken aback by the stranger's abruptness.

"Excuse me?" she said, her tone cautious yet defiant.

"It's you," the woman repeated, her eyes narrowed at Suzy with annoyance. "Joohyuk's new girl."

Suzy studied the woman intently from head to toe, trying to decipher the underlying meaning behind her words. It was clear that this encounter held more significance than mere coincidence.

"And who might you be?" Suzy asked, mustering a cool confidence she didn't quite feel.

The woman let out a humorless laugh, devoid of any warmth or amusement. "Oh please, spare me your innocent act," she sneered. "I know all about Joohyuk and his taste for deception."

A flicker of recognition sparked within Suzy as she connected the dots in her mind. This woman had to be Joohyuk's ex-girlfriend or past fling; someone bitter enough to confront a stranger in a bookstore.

"You must be mistaken," Suzy replied calmly, refusing to allow herself to be rattled by this unexpected confrontation. "We're not together."

The corners of the woman's lips curled into a sardonic smile as she leaned closer, invading Suzy's personal space. The mixed scent of alcohol and perfume clung to her like an aura of menace.

"Don't play dumb with me," she hissed through gritted teeth. "You think he won't do it again? That he won't leave you broken and discarded like he did to me?"

Suzy felt a surge of anger rise within her at the mention of being used and discarded like some disposable toy. She squared her shoulders and met the woman's gaze head-on.

"I don't get why you're acting like this," Suzy replied, her voice laced with an underlying frustration, "but please excuse me and let me enjoy my book in peace." She tried to avoid the conversation about Joohyuk and not get herself into trouble with the woman in front of her.

Suzy started walking past the stranger when she suddenly spoke again. Her words sliced through the air like a dagger aimed at Suzy's heart. "He's good, right?" The woman asked, her tone dripping with bitter sarcasm. "So addictively good." She emphasized, smirking at Suzy as if she was purposefully trying to annoy her.