❝ 𝗌𝗁𝖺𝗋𝗉 𝗍𝗋𝖺𝖼𝗄𝗌-1. ❞

the brick wall before her was nothing more than a sad realization that the school year was starting once more

   the brick wall before her was nothing more than a sad realization that the school year was starting once more. fifth year. somehow she always seemed to question just how far she'd come , as if it were such a ridiculous thought that she would only have two more years left after this one. she would have to divide her interests between the two worlds, come to a quick decision on what she wanted to do with her life.

   the distraction of her future caused her to shake her head, pushing the cart straight through the wall. to anyone else it would've been a crazy act, running straight into bricks? she often had to remind herself that it was just bewitched, that she wasn't going to ram into cement and ruin the buggy. the little twinge of fear in her chest lessened once she made it to the other side, her eyes opened once more.

  the other side was bustling with people, just as it was every year. parents saying goodbye to their children, a few of them shedding tears for their first years. the thought made her smile faintly as she pushed past a few of them carefully. it reminded her of when she was in her first year. though her mother didn't actually get to pass into the entrance, the woman still rambled and sobbed as her eleven year old had to walk through. even now her mother still took the time to drive her to the station every year, despite always running late for work whenever she did. either way, she was still grateful.

  pulling her suitcase from the cart, she neared one of the train doors. for a moment she had been dazed, only coming to the realization that she stopped before the doors when a third year pushed past her. a small frown etched itself onto her lips, her eyebrows furrowed as a complex expression took over her face. it was almost immediate. the feeling of dread rising in her chest. she wanted to turn back, decide she was done with the train and possibly even the entire school year. her pep talk the day before was not willing her to continue.

  she hadn't been this anxious since her first year. then, she was a child, having every right to be nervous about boarding a train that lead to some magical school—which she still didn't believe until she actually had stepped foot onto the grounds. she was 15 now. no longer a child , but not far from immaturity. she would have been fine if she wasn't dawning upon the fact that she really was alone now. the difference between her first year and this year was the fact that the day of arrival, she had found her first friend.

  now, she had to start over. in a way she felt as though she had seen this coming. even from the first day they had met, there was the unwinding feeling that it was just a whim. that didn't stop her from feeling surprised by his actions.

   "all aboard! last call!" yelled the conductor, calling her from her thoughts. the thumping feeling in her chest quickened. she couldn't just stand there, and she didn't get the chance to. shoulders brushed past hers, urging her to move onto the train and to simply move out of their way. out of compliance , she dragged her suitcase with her and stepped into the isle of compartments. she suddenly wished she had gotten on sooner.

  almost every compartment was full, and if it was just one person, they were usually saving seats for their friends. moving from cart to cart, she was nearing the end. she came to a halt, her head turning to notice someone watching her with a curious expression. he was standing, quite tall , almost ridiculously. she wouldn't even dare guess his height. her eyes trailed up to meet his gaze, piercing green eyes staring back at her. he had a strong facial structure that was framed by shaggy black hair.

  " quarter giant." he spoke , a thick, scottish accent coating his words. the sentence caused the girl to furrow her eyebrows in confusion, snapping out of her small daze.
  "what?"
  "i'm a quarter giant—you were staring."
she wanted to apologize profusely, almost wailing at the remembrance of her mother scolding her for staring and how it was considered rude. though, the tall boy only let out a heavy laugh and settled down onto his seat.
  "well c'mon, don't just stand there!"

a breath of relief escaped from her and she quickened her pace to enter the compartment, putting up her beat up suitcase before flopping into the seat adjacent from him.
  "thank you." she spoke softly, her own southern accent contrasting to his scottish one.
  "it's no worries, didn't really feel like sitting by myself." he shrugged his shoulders, "alex."

  as she went to introduce herself, she paused. would it be best to go all formal and state her entire name? did people often do that? or did they just go with nicknames?
  "i was just hinting for your name, no need to think that hard...you remember it, right?" he asked, an amused expression over layering his somewhat concerned one.
  "doroteya!" she finally blurted, her mouth forming into an uneasy smile. he only nodded his head in thought, crossing his arms.
  "aye, a mouthful." he mumbled, "i'm just going to call you dottie, sound fair?"
  she was hesitant to nod, processing the small nickname. it seemed much easier than just having everyone struggle with the four syllables in her name. though, she didn't deny that she liked it. the uneasy smile switching to a small, yet sincere one.

  "what year are you in?" he asked suddenly, breaking the silence again.
  "fifth."
  "me too!" he grinned. doroteya was surprised at just how welcoming he was, only moments before finding the compartment she was spiraling about the year and the new. despite her odd stare and the almost weird stature she had, he had invited her in like it was nothing. she envied his forwardness.

pushing up the wide framed glasses she had, her eyes gazed to the robes he was already wearing. they widened slightly at the color scheme and she felt a small rush of excitement.
  "i'm in hufflepuff too!" she grinned, warming up just slightly at the similarity between them.
  "really?!" he only mirrored her expression, "how come we've never spoken or anything?"

  she almost frowned at his question, her eyebrows furrowing. despite being in a somewhat accepting house, she had never ventured out and had spoken to many people. she had acquaintances, but no one close enough to remember anything past her name and what answers she might've gotten on the potions homework. for the past 4 years she had stuck by one person only, and now she realized just how right her mother was with her rants on how she should socialize past one person.

  "i don't think i really ever get involved in a lot of things." she laughed a little yet her mouth pressed into a thin line as she leaned back into her seat.
"i don't even blame you, even i get sick of people." he snorted, nodding his head a bit. doroteya couldn't help but smile a bit at his agreement, she felt less like a deer in headlights by now. her posture relaxed and her face void of any uneasiness.

  there was something calming about alex. maybe it was the way he was quick to generosity. or how he was able to keep the conversation flowing, not letting silence overcome the both of them again. maybe it was because even with his tall and, quite frankly, strong build—he wasn't intimidating to her. and she was glad he wasn't trying to be.

most people after the normal 'hi, how are you?' conversations, would do their own thing. not alex, he would beckon you to continue on or he would talk comfortably, which she didn't mind. he figured he noticed that she preferred to listen, especially now. like he knew she was previously having a sort of crisis before boarding. she wouldn't lie and say he was growing on her, not that he even really needed to try. from the get go there was a trusting notion between the two of them.

it wasn't long before her worries would drift away once he invited her to sit with him in the great hall, he didn't even allow her to deject—he pretty much had just stated where he was going to be sitting and that he'd save her a spot. for a second she noticed the difference between alex and him. with one, she didn't feel inferior under their gaze. she could actually breathe , as if she had been holding a deep inhale in since her first train ride, glad to be able to let it go by her fifth.