51.

AONUNG

"Hey," Akoya whispers, her hand cupping my face gently.

I gaze at her, unable to pull my eyes away.

"Hey," I whisper back.

She looks even more incredible than ever, even with her face flushed, hair spilling all over her and eyes sparkling.

"What?" she says, after a few moments.

"Nothing," I smile, reaching up to tuck her hair back. "You're beautiful."

She flushes deeper, and I press a kiss to where my face rests between her breasts.

"I love you," I whisper.

Akoya just smiles, lightly tracing the braids in my hair experimentally.

After a few moments, I realise what she's wondering.

"You... you can, if you want to," I say, tilting my head at her.

She smiles, and I sit up slightly to let her take out my braids.

She's very careful, as though she wants to savour the moment before she sees me with my hair down.

I realise she's never seen me without my hair braided back, and I feel it gently fall around my shoulders.

She lets out a satisfied smile, and then moves around to gaze at me, her smile wide.

"What?" I say, slightly nervously.

"You're so pretty," Akoya breathes, running her fingers through my hair.

I wrinkle my face at her, and she grins back.

"I love curly hair," she whispers, grinning as she lightly pulls a strand and it springs back. "Sorry."

"It's okay," I say, watching her amused delight at my hair. "I don't mind."

She smiles shyly at me.

I love when she's shy, she gets so wriggly and adorable.

"We should probably get back soon," I grudgingly point out.

"Yeah," Akoya agrees, sounding weary. "Or we could stay here."

I grin.

"Are you sure?" I say, faking a look of concern. "You don't want to go see our families?"

"Shut up Aonung."

"Yes ma'am," I say, grinning and lying beside her.

When I wake, Akoya is gently playing with my hair, my face still nestled comfortably in her chest.

"Morning," she says, when I meet her gaze. "Took your time."

"How long have you been up for?" I ask, rubbing my face and sitting up.

She grumbles a little.

"Let me finish skxawng."

I turn my head slightly to see what she's doing.

She's strung several little braids into my hair in the same way Neteyam's hair is braided.

"Is this Omoticayan?" I ask, smiling slightly as I watch her work.

Her nose is twitching slightly in concentration, a little furrow between her brows as she works.

"Yeah," Akoya whispers. "It's... a little custom we have."

"What for?" I say, smiling at her.

"It's for your mate," she whispers, brushing my face gently. "To show he's taken."

"I'm yours," I promise, taking her hand in mine. "Forever and ever."

"Good," she grins.

"I should do one for you then?" I ask. "To match mine?"

Akoya just laughs, and I lay her back against my lap so I can braid her hair.

"I love you skxawng," she whispers.

"Me too," I say, smiling. "And I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you."

"Oh yeah?" she says, grinning. "How will it go?"

"Well, it will be peaceful and blissful and perfect. We can watch the sun rise and set from the marui, go for rides on Ze'nna and swim in the ocean during the day-"

"What about when we become the leaders?" Akoya asks. "It won't always be perfect."

"Maybe not," I concede. "But it'll be fun. You can go to the Spirit Tree whenever you want, and we'll have a family."

"Yeah," Akoya grins, her hand moving to her stomach. "How many?"

"However many you want," I say, lightly kissing her nose. "It's your body."

"I want a girl and a boy," Akoya whispers. "Fierce little kids I hope."

"They'd have to be."

"Why's that?"

"Cause you're their mum," I whisper. "And if they're even 1% like you, they'd burn down the whole world."

"Perfect," she grins. "They'll be perfect fighters."

"And funny."

"They'd get that from me," Akoya says, sticking her tongue out. 

"I hope so," I say, finishing her braid and she sits up to look at me. "I hope they're exactly like you."

"That would be disastro-"

"Perfect. They'd be perfect," I finish.

Akoya blushes slightly.

"Come on skxawng," she says, pulling me up.

I wrap my arms around her from behind as we turn to the ocean.

It sparkles in the morning sun, welcoming and peaceful.

"Let's go home."

***

A/N:

Oh my fucking god.

I can't believe that this moment has come, that the ff is coming to a close.

This has been the most incredible journey, and every single one of you readers has been so perfect and supportive and hilarious that I love you all so much.

Don't worry, this isn't the end.

We still have some timeskips to see Akoya and Aonung's future, and I think every now and then I'll post another moment.

I love you all infinitely, THANK YOU SO MUCH