Chapter 7

We sit there and just look at the church until pony and Johnny get out running to it. "GET BACK HERE ARE YOU GUYS DUMB" Dally yelled after them. I jump out and run to the church the two boys behind me. I pry off the wood with pony boys help but Johnny found a rock and threw it leaving a hole for us to take wood off helping us get in the church easier. We get in and smoke immediately hits our faces. I cover my nose with my shirt the two boys following me. " let's split up and try to find the kids" pony boy says. We start looking around until I hear. "I FOUND THEM" Johnny yelled pony and I rush over to Johnny. I struggle to open a window until I see dally outside helping me. We get the window open and Johnny and pony are handing me kids to get through the window while dally pulls them out. We get the last kid. "Pony you go first" I said to pony. "No you go first I don't want you to die" he said. "IF WE JUST STAND HERE WERE GOING TO DIE NOW GET YOUR ASS OUTSIDE NOW PONY BOY" I yell making him get out. "Your turn Johnny" I said "no you go I need to make sure you're okay" he says. "Ugh fine I love you Johnny Cade" I said giving him a quick kiss. I get out and pony immediately pulls me into a hug. I turn back around going to help Johnny until the roof collapsed. "JOHNNY" I scream. I try to run back and get him but ponyboy is holding me back. I don't know if it was because of the smoke but I remember crying and then nothing at all.

I wake up in an ambulance with people around me and a burning sensation. I look down and see my shirt ripped and a burn mark. I look to my hands and legs everything is covered in smoke. "W-where's Johnny" I asked but it hurts due to how much smoke I inhaled. "He's in an ambulance behind us, you know you 4 are the bravest people I have seen in a long time" a man says to me. "Uh thanks I guess" I said laying my head back and passing out.

I wake up again but this time in a hospital bed with pony boy by my side. "Pony" I got no response. "Pony boy" I say again throwing a pillow at him making him jump awake. "You okay do I need to go get a nurse" he asked in a panic. "No I'm fine I think" and as I say that a nurse walks in. "Ms. Curtis you're in good health does it hurt to breath at all" she asks. "Um yeah a little bit but not a lot" I said looking at her. "Okay it's just because of how much smoke you inhaled so I suggest if you do not to smoke anything for atleast 5 weeks" she says as I just nod. "And you are free to go but before you do apply this to you side for 8 weeks and wrap it to help it heal" she says (thats what my nurse said when I got 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns on my stomach because my cousin spilt boiling hot soup on me in 4th grade 😭). I nod and grab the bottle and bandage. "It's not bad but we just don't want it getting infected make sure you and your boyfriend apply it in the morning and before bed" she said. "Johnnys okay" I yelled grabbing onto pony. "Oh no um Mr.Cade is hurt really bad if he does make it there's a possibility he will be paralyzed the rest of his life but there's also a chance he could pass away" she said looking at me. "W-what you said that he was okay that's why I have the ointment" I said starting to cry as pony hugs me. "Oh no I'm sorry I thought he was your boyfriend" she said pointing to pony. "O-oh that's my twin brother" I said making her turn a bright red. "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry I didn't know it's just the hair an-" I cut her off. "No it's alright um thanks again but can I see Johnny" I asked giving the ointment to ponyboy. "Uh yeah right this way" she says bringing me to another room while pony sits in the waiting room. "Oh Johnny" I said running to his side. He was laying on his stomach as his shoulders and back were burnt really bad. " I love you so much Johnny" I said starting to cry as the nurse leaves to give us our time. "I l-love yo-you too" he said clearly in a lot of pain. He reaches for my hand and I see this and take his hand and kiss it gently. "Bean I-I'm" Johnny tried to say but falls unconscious. "Johnny....JOHNNY" I said louder as nurses run to the room. The push me out as I'm forced to look at the door to his room. I see pony boy, soda, and Darry. We all make eye contact until I fall sliding down the door crying as soda runs over and hugged me like his life depended on hit. Darry and pony soon join in.